Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 11:27 PM

Re: Lawn - have the birds done this?

What about hedgehogs ? My front drive has been scratched at for a couple of years and I couldn't make it out. Small stones would be dug up or dislodged overnight . It stopped last autumn and beginning of winter, but has started again this last week. I know it is on 'hedgehog street' as they come up and under the side gate into the back garden. So, I'm assuming it is the hedgehogs looking for bugs and grubs under the stones. I do put food out for them at certain times if it's dry in the summer and the ground is hard, or later in the year when they need feeding up for hibernation, but have not put any out yet.
Are there any tell tale signs of 'poo' around and about ? (hate that word)
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
If so we need a photo
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:08 AM

I think mart is right Pesta, it's the birds, or more specifically the Blackbirds. My back lawn has been savaged and all the moss pulled to the surface and left around in big lumps.
I've also got half a dozen pots round the back and they have pecked away all the peat and thrown it on the floor.

I caught them doing it on Friday morning, so I've had to make some pot protectors, unfortunately I can't get out to the garden centre for some meshing, so I've had to make do and mend, and use some of Mrs Foxes tights. I don't think she will miss them, she doesn't usually....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 11:15 AM

This time of year the grubs of chafer beetles become active just below the surface and many birds and small mammals dig and scratch around for them. I have seen lawns completely destroyed particularly in sandty soil areas when there have been many beetles the year before. Luckily around here there were very few beetles last year so no lawn damage this spring.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 02:31 PM

Talking of the birds, I find if I groom Dageus's long coat outside at this time of the year, the birds come and take the clumps of hair that I remove from the brush. I drop it on purpose now and it's always gone pretty quickly.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 04:31 PM

Pesta, does your mower have a cuttings collector or do you just let the clippings lie on the grass? If so, that's probably what the birds, etc have raked over looking for food.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 04:48 PM

Seagulls tap dancing for worms?

If not then aliens! They're smaller than we thought!

That's all I've got, sorry!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
What about hedgehogs ? My front drive has been scratched at for a couple of years and I couldn't make it out. Small stones would be dug up or dislodged overnight . It stopped last autumn and beginning of winter, but has started again this last week. I know it is on 'hedgehog street' as they come up and under the side gate into the back garden. So, I'm assuming it is the hedgehogs looking for bugs and grubs under the stones. I do put food out for them at certain times if it's dry in the summer and the ground is hard, or later in the year when they need feeding up for hibernation, but have not put any out yet.

You can say the S word Puddle, we won't flinch!

Nope, no sign of any shit.

You know I haven't seen a hedgehog for ages. I think they've left me.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think mart is right Pesta, it's the birds, or more specifically the Blackbirds. My back lawn has been savaged and all the moss pulled to the surface and left around in big lumps.
I've also got half a dozen pots round the back and they have pecked away all the peat and thrown it on the floor.

I caught them doing it on Friday morning, so I've had to make some pot protectors, unfortunately I can't get out to the garden centre for some meshing, so I've had to make do and mend, and use some of Mrs Foxes tights. I don't think she will miss them, she doesn't usually....
I've only a few pots at the mo and thankfully they've left those alone.

Re Mrs Foxes tights, too warm to wear any tights FoxyLoxy, so you're safe for the moment
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

20-04-2020, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
This time of year the grubs of chafer beetles become active just below the surface and many birds and small mammals dig and scratch around for them. I have seen lawns completely destroyed particularly in sandty soil areas when there have been many beetles the year before. Luckily around here there were very few beetles last year so no lawn damage this spring.
I've not heard of chafer beetles Barry so just did a quick Google.

There were some pictures of green ones. I see similar ones on my washing in the summer (although they are more of a vivid green). I flick them off and they fly away. Not sure if they are the same though.

I must admit, I've never had a problem with anything like this on my lawn, no matter where I've lived. Always a first I 'spose.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top