Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Button
NW England
Button is female  Button has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 06:59 PM

Is it too soon?

I've got some runner beans in pots that I want to plant outdoors now but is it still too cold?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:10 PM

Re: Is it too soon?

I planted mine out a couple of days ago but it is a bit colder where you are, so if it was me I'd give it another week or so undercover, or until you are confident the threat of frost is passed.

P.s. if you are worried about the roots then just pot them up into a larger pot in the interim and they will be fine..
Button
NW England
Button is female  Button has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:14 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought really but the poor things are climbing out of the pots! I'll do what you suggest.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Button ->
I've got some runner beans in pots that I want to plant outdoors now but is it still too cold?
If you have the sticks put up for them to climb then if a frost is forecast wrap some polythene around the sticks.
We have Franklin nights you still time for the frost.

https://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/franklin-nights.htm
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:53 PM

I have some in pots just coming up and planted some more yesterday . You could take the risk there is still time to plant more if they get frosted .putting plastic around the sticks is a good idea . In this area old gardeners plant out at the end of May .I tell you it was darn cold here this morning .
Button
NW England

04-05-2020, 09:26 AM

I'll leave it for another few days and then put some fleece around them. Thanks for your help.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 10:39 AM

I planted my beans out two weeks ago, each has its own protection of a transparent picnic mug with the bottom cut out ..
https://www.wilko.com/wilko-plastic-...pack/p/0203989

I put some fine grit in the bottom to stop slugs too. When watering in dry conditions the mugs also act as a reservoir for water.
I have been using the same mugs for many years washed after each season.

Note there is frost forecast in some areas for next weekend
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 03:24 PM

The long-range forecast for next week is for cold northerly winds and low temperatures.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2020, 06:57 PM

My in-laws used to plant their runner bean plants on 13th May. I have always followed suit.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 09:25 AM

We had a late frost yesterday and will have another one next week .
My beans are staying coddled up behind glass but they are getting a bit big .
My old gardener friend says hang fire until the 20th May

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top