Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 05:17 PM

Re: Anti-barking device for a dog

I do understand Floydy, and it is very selfish of your neighbour to do nothing about it. The longer the dog is allowed to do his own thing like that, the harder it will be to train him not to IMO.

Are there any neighbours on the other side of the bloke? Would they back you up? He might take more notice if two people complained.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do understand Floydy, and it is very selfish of your neighbour to do nothing about it. The longer the dog is allowed to do his own thing like that, the harder it will be to train him not to IMO.

Are there any neighbours on the other side of the bloke? Would they back you up? He might take more notice if two people complained.
Yes, a lady who has a labrador. I'm not sure what she thinks.
I'm not afraid to confront the bloke but I don't want to get into an argument. That's never a good thing with neighbours is it? Plus, he's also an extremely boring man with no practical common sense.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Have you considered a meal for the dog laced with anti-freeze?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Great replies, thank folks. There's plenty of ideas here and the first one will be talking to my neighbour and suggesting he gets it trained properly, otherwise we will not be very happy in the summer months putting up with it. I will also get a whistle and if the the thing gets out of hand, we will be blowing it in the middle of the night. Great idea!
Cheers all
There has been a lot of discussion recently in a local Facebook group about some people who have a noisy dog. In fact, they live at the bottom of the road on which we used to live, although we don't remember hearing it but, of course, that was over ten years ago.

If anyone should find a reliable system that works, I'm sure these people would appreciate my telling them.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 07:02 PM

We had a dog that continually barked in our street.

One night the dog disappeared - literally. Nobody saw the going of it - but I did give my neighbour a very speculative look.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 10:39 PM

How's it going with the neighbour's dog Floydy?
Any improvement?
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 09:46 AM

I remember reading a long time ago, a woman "dog expert" wrote that you should never say No to a dog because it was a negative experience. Much better to say something positive, so if it was barking, give it a positive command , like for example Sit Down, which if obeyed would likely stop the barking.

Well I do not think much of her advice, I think NO is an excellent command and use it regularly. To my dogs it means what ever you're doing Stop It.

My dogs are not barkers, but I'm sure a strict diet of NO would soon make them quieten down if they were.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
I remember reading a long time ago, a woman "dog expert" wrote that you should never say No to a dog because it was a negative experience. Much better to say something positive, so if it was barking, give it a positive command , like for example Sit Down, which if obeyed would likely stop the barking.
I don't know who the woman was, but perhaps she was a very early example of the snowflake hand-wringer brigade we hear so much about today!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top