Join for free
Page 6 of 26 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:13 PM

Re: Boris Johnson resigns.

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.change.org/p/make-this-t...-voting-system

This is the best option imo.
Signed.

In fact, I have been banging on about PR for years, including on here.

We should have more choice that either Conservative or Labour. The one party gets in and "spend, spend, spend; borrow, borrow, borrow" is their mantra. Then the other gets in an applies austerity measures to try to make up the difference. Then the first is back in again... and over and over and over again.

The other thing of which I am seriously in favour is the Swiss style of legally binding referenda. That must be the most legitimate form of democracy in the world.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:17 PM

We have PR here

Nothing but nothing changes
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
All Boris has shown by this is that he's a quitter. That's not PM material.
Nonsense.

He is one of the few MPs who is brave enough to stand up for his principles.

The despicable ones are those who haven't the guts to do what they believe; they'd rather sit quietly and do exactly what 'mummy' tells them to do in case she kicks them out of the Cabinet.

You must decide for yourself which of the two types you admire.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:20 PM

Dear me. Jeremy Hunt just announced as new Foreign Secretary - well at least it will stop him from knackering the NHS.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Nonsense.

He is one of the few MPs who is brave enough to stand up for his principles.

The despicable ones are those who haven't the guts to do what they believe; they'd rather sit quietly and do exactly what 'mummy' tells them to do in case she kicks them out of the Cabinet.

You must decide for yourself which of the two types you admire.

Not worthy of a new thread I see...ah well, I tried.

But I do consider that his letter deserves more attention... it's here in full, worth a read...

I've never really taken the man seriously before.

Yes I've admired his eloquent ability to use the English language to insult oppostion rather well -
"puffed up pompous popinjay" comes immediately to mind!

But I've just taken the time to read his letter of resignation in full, it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes, and I must say I'm quite impressed.

"Brexit should be about opportunity and hope. It should be a chance to do things differently, to be more nimble and dynamic, and to maximise the particular advantages of the UK as an open, outward-looking global economy.

That dream is dying, suffocated by needless self-doubt."

I think we're in for Interesting Times!

Boris Johnson's resignation letter and May's reply in full -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44772804
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Dear me. Jeremy Hunt just announced as new Foreign Secretary - well at least it will stop him from knackering the NHS.
True. He'll just help May to knacker Brexit!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Inspirational and pragmatic leadership needed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
We have PR here

Nothing but nothing changes
I'm afraid I don't know much about the NI political system.

Surely, the people who are elected to the Westminster parliament are elected through our FPTP system, aren't they?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:27 PM

What principles? His commitment is self interest. If you are in a party then you should show some loyalty to the leader. He didn't go for leadership but wants to back seat drive. He's now written a poison pen letter. This is not principled behaviour. It's all dramarama. These days observing the Tory party is like watching a bunch of petulant schoolboys. You cannot tell who will go off in a huff next. Theresa May comes across as very calm and sensible in comparison. She has an impossible task.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Now you're talking!

No, never the twain shall meet.

Page 6 of 26 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top