Join for free
Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:07 PM

Re: Thai boys found safe in cave

Thai boys were sedated and stretchered from cave in dramatic rescue

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...matic-10521072

After days of mounting speculation, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver broke the silence, revealing the boys were sleeping or partially-conscious as they were passed from diver-to-diver through the cave.

"Some of them were asleep, some of them were wiggling their fingers ... (as if) groggy, but they were breathing," Commander Chaiyananta Peeranarong told AFP.

"My job was to transfer them along," he said, adding the "boys were wrapped up in stretchers already when they were being transferred" and were monitored at regular intervals by doctors posted along the kilometres-long escape route.

He did not say if the coach, the only adult with the boys for nine days before they found, was able to dive and walk out unaided.

Footage released by the Thai Navy SEALs showed foreign and Thai divers using pulleys, ropes and rubber piping to haul stretchers bearing two of the barely moving young footballers to safety, their exit framed by the jagged cave overhead.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Update:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44797035

Heavy sedation, although drastic, seems far more plausible than light medication.
I agree ... whatever what was best for the boys ... from two angles.

1) Getting them out. Safest way for the divers.
2) Minimizing any lingering problems from any trauma the lads would be left to deal with from the experience ... I'd have just bopped them over the head myself and towed them out. (Just kidding, before I get jumped on for child abuse).
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 05:26 PM

Poor little kiddies , whatever it took to get them out , I can't wait to see them all at a later date and to see them happy again .

So proud of the rescue teams it just melts my heart
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 06:32 PM

You know susan they are boys and boys are gutsy .
Especially Thai boys.
I have known many Thai people and many seem to have inner spitritual as well as physical strength.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Because of possible panic, the coach and boys were sedated by a doctor before the escape
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You know susan they are boys and boys are gutsy .
Especially Thai boys.
I have known many Thai people and many seem to have inner spitritual as well as physical strength.
Yes your right muddy . Think my mummy mode comes out in these overwhelming situations
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Thailand cave movie: Hollywood producers already on the scene

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...628693490e14ab

The film, of course, will be nothing like reality, not with "A-list stars” .....
Thailand cave: Another film in the works for Tham Luang

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44803386

According to Los Angeles-based Ivanhoe Pictures, they have been officially picked by the Thai government and navy to develop the film.

US media quoted the company as saying the film would be directed by Jon M Chu. He last partnered with Ivanhoe in directing the forthcoming romantic comedy Crazy Rich Asians.

Concerns are already being raised on social media that any film would focus more on the international characters while downplaying the role of Thais.

Chu insisted on Twitter that his film would be fair.
I doubt that any film will do justice to the thousands of people involved in the rescue effort - inevitably, any film will focus on the characters portrayed by the "A-list stars" .....

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Cave rescue: Key questions answered

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44799779

Will coach Ake face any disciplinary proceedings?
At this stage that seems unlikely. The parents say they have forgiven him, and they are grateful for the efforts he is reported to have made to keep their spirits up in the caves, in particular through meditation, which he learned during 12 years as a monk.

Coach Nop said Ake may be asked to go back to being a monk for a while, something Thais typically do as a kind of penance, or to replenish or cleanse themselves spiritually.

Such a move would make a lot of sense to Thais, and he would likely be allowed to resume life as normal after that.

Also Thailand typically does not have a 'blame culture', where a culprit must be found for any misadventure. There is a more fatalistic acceptance of things going wrong, less public clamour for accountability.
Interesting, because, after all, AFAIK, no crime was committed - it was just "misadventure", but, in some countries, I have no doubt that a coach, in similar circumstances, would be harshly punished .....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:07 PM

I would like to praise the extraordinary strengths and skills of the coach.

He kept his 12 charges alive and safe and unharmed for days and days, in total darkness and without food.

He also kept their spirits, courage and hopes alive all that time during what must have been terrifying and hopeless circumstances, never once knowing whether they would live or die.

How many 25 year olds could do that I wonder?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I would like to praise the extraordinary strengths and skills of the coach.

He kept his 12 charges alive and safe and unharmed for days and days, in total darkness and without food.

He also kept their spirits, courage and hopes alive all that time during what must have been terrifying and hopeless circumstances, never once knowing whether they would live or die.

How many 25 year olds could do that I wonder?
Totally agree. With the media the way it is the coach has achieved being the guilty party and a hero at the same time.

He has more than proved his mettle by his actions till the completion of this incident as did all parties involved

Page 18 of 20 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top