Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 02:10 PM

The Factory - Toilet Rolls

Did anyone see the Documentary the other night on how they make Toilet Rolls, Kitchen Rolls, Tissues etc.

It was really interesting, how they chop down the Trees and it all goes to a factory in Manchester, and it showed you all the stages it goes through to make our Toilet paper.

You should watch it.

I think it is repeated tonight on one of the different channels.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Re: The Factory - Toilet Rolls

Well worth a watch as you say. Now who would have thought so much water went into making a piece of bog roll to dry yourself with.

Izal has come a long .
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Years ago, I went to see a client near Bridgend in South Wales, who made bog rolls for Woolworth. The source material was the zig-zag sheets of computer printout paper used mainly by accounts and production functions by pin printers. They were collected from sources all over the UK.

The paper was thrown into large vats and macerated, then worked into sheets, rolled then slit. Remember hard high gloss bog rolls .......?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Did anyone see the Documentary the other night on how they make Toilet Rolls, Kitchen Rolls, Tissues etc.

It was really interesting, how they chop down the Trees and it all goes to a factory in Manchester, and it showed you all the stages it goes through to make our Toilet paper.

You should watch it.

I think it is repeated tonight on one of the different channels.
OMG how interesting whatever next docos about sewers
oh isn't there one on the box at the moment

No offence intended Susie.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 03:31 PM

They use a lot of water to make any type of paper. Our mill here made bank notes & documents before they closed down. Their water had to be really pure too. They had expensive fish in a pond as part of the process, if the fish were healthy the water was pure. It was fascinating learning the history of the factory.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 04:00 PM

The previous week's one about instant coffee was just as interesting. It's called, Inside The Factory: Coffee.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 04:09 PM

I didn't see it but I am big fan of 'How it's made' which is similar.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Well worth a watch as you say. Now who would have thought so much water went into making a piece of bog roll to dry yourself with.

Izal has come a long .
good grief, I can still remember the smell of that bum splitting paper!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
good grief, I can still remember the smell of that bum splitting paper!
It scarred me for life.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 07:57 PM

I watched this too the other day. It was strangely fascinating. I'd love to see one about kitchen roll to be reassured it's really clean....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top