Join for free
Page 96 of 370 « First < 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 146 196 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Awwww Man IT WAS GOOD, to be in the water again. I went expecting it to be busy with a lot of newbies with good intentions. But it was just the hard core ones like me. Did my 40 and had a wee natter before I came out.Took a walk along the front a while ago and there were several Surfers out on the waves, think they were learners as the waves were small and they were wobbly lol.
Forty lengths would take me a lifetime, lol! I'm not a good swimmer at all. Well done on that Roxy.

It's funny how those good-intentioned newbies get everywhere after Christmas isn't it?
We get them at the gym too. It's great of course that people are wanting to make an effort to lost the excess flab after the festivities, but I would think most last no longer than a month and waste their membership. Perhaps ten per cent are still there after a year.

I'm always of the thinking that if you are to succeed it's because you want to, not that you need to. There's a big difference in those who really get stuck into their training and those who find it a chore. It's all part of a person's psyche or mindset, but I guess it's like any 'hobby' - you need to be interested in the subject to begin with.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Yes your right Floydy, My mum used to work at the Swimming Pool and I was a good wee Swimmer before I was at school. I used to swim in all the Gala's and when it was insisted I really train I didn't like it and my heart wasn't in it. That made my Trainer's wild I can tell you. I didn't swim after that for years. Started going back after I had my first knee operation, ten years ago to strengthen things up. It was slow going but I managed to do 50, after a few weeks it tired me out, so dropped it to 40 and go 5/6 days a week. Now that I'm not being forced to swim, I love it again lol.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Yes your right Floydy, My mum used to work at the Swimming Pool and I was a good wee Swimmer before I was at school. I used to swim in all the Gala's and when it was insisted I really train I didn't like it and my heart wasn't in it. That made my Trainer's wild I can tell you. I didn't swim after that for years. Started going back after I had my first knee operation, ten years ago to strengthen things up. It was slow going but I managed to do 50, after a few weeks it tired me out, so dropped it to 40 and go 5/6 days a week. Now that I'm not being forced to swim, I love it again lol.
Very true, Roxy. Great to hear that you're progressing up the scale once more☺

What sort of knee operation did you have, was it cartiledge trouble or arthritis? And what is your preferred swimming stroke, does it affect your knee now?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:27 PM

I've had both knees full replacements but the first ever knee op was a key hole job where they yanked out all the torn cartiledge.
The swimming really helped get things moving again, I only do either back stroke or breast stroke. I never liked the crawl and as for the butterfly....lets not even go there lol. Sheeeze that one is not for me.
The only thing I find awkard is getting out of the pool, it's a training pool so no steps, just slits cut into the tiles..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks Roxy.
I was just wondering because I have arthritis in my knees now (as far as I know anyway, pending an x-ray next week), and I've been thinking about swimming to help this.
But I have heard conflicting reports on how the breaststroke is harmful for the joints, in particular the knees and hips. Do you have any problems with this?

Pleased you're fully recovered btw☺
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-01-2018, 05:59 PM

I think it's different for everyone. I also heard that I should not do breast stroke but I asked the consultant about it at my last review. She told me it was ok, but some people find the leg movement awkard and find it easier to do a stroke where you just move the legs up and down. Personally I think it would be hard just after an operation as it takes a good while to heal and it would be easier to just do the kicking movement till then, but you get into a habit and stick with it. Breast stroke has always been what I did so I just went back to it, slowly at first then just found it got easier.. Now I do my 40 in 40 minutes if I don't stop. But I do stop after every ten as I need a few mouthfuls of water. I know it sounds daft as your in water BUT I get dehydrated very quickly..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-01-2018, 06:35 PM

I think it's different for everyone. I also heard that I should not do breast stroke but I asked the consultant about it at my last review. She told me it was ok, but some people find the leg movement awkard and find it easier to do a stroke where you just move the legs up and down. Personally I think it would be hard just after an operation as it takes a good while to heal and it would be easier to just do the kicking movement till then, but you get into a habit and stick with it. Breast stroke has always been what I did so I just went back to it, slowly at first then just found it got easier.. Now I do my 40 in 40 minutes if I don't stop. But I do stop after every ten as I need a few mouthfuls of water. I know it sounds daft as your in water BUT I get dehydrated very quickly..
Thanks Roxy
Getting into swimming again is something which is right at the top of my list and I'm going to start taking proper lessons again soon.
I'll find out how it will affect my knee before too long I reckon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Hey Surfermom! I only just noticed the birthday thread for you.
You really are a great addition and an inspiration to this forum and nowhere more so than in this thread. Here's a suitable song for you today. Have a great one!

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-01-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks Roxy
Getting into swimming again is something which is right at the top of my list and I'm going to start taking proper lessons again soon.
I'll find out how it will affect my knee before too long I reckon.
The main thing is to build up the muscles each side of your knee, the stronger they are the easier your recovery after the replacement..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-01-2018, 09:59 PM

The main thing is to build up the muscles each side of your knee, the stronger they are the easier your recovery after the replacement..
Luckily my outer knee and lower quad muscles are strong from years of training, I just need to keep that going which is going well ☺

Page 96 of 370 « First < 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 146 196 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top