Join for free
Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: My allotment

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go Galty.
Apparently we're supposed to mix a bit of vegetable oil with it to:

Quote:

Step 1: Mix 3 tablespoons baking soda with 1 gallon of water.This is the baking soda we use: Arm and Hammer Pure Baking Soda.

Step 2: Mix in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or cooking oil of your choice. This helps the spray to stick to the leaves.

Step 3: Mix in 2 drops of dish soap to help emulsify (mix) everything.

It explains more fully here:

https://migardener.com/prevent-kill-...w-baking-soda/
Thanks for that...it explains what my friend said but in more detail.

Have book marked the link.

PS

Its hot in the day but in the early mornings there is moisture on my car windscreen.... meaning the humidity is very high, tends to hit at about the end of August

Bit of wind and the blight will hit sooner than the last couple of years
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Heavy rain at last.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 03:07 PM

rain ham essex - sounds right!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

11-08-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
rain ham essex - sounds right!
OMG are you trying make a joke that Pigs might fly.

Always thought that years ago they had to take a boat...well you cant fly for £10 even in thoses days.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2018, 03:01 AM

My old man had an allotment near our house. When he took it over it was overgrown and neglected but over the years he got it quite productive.

Half of it was devoted to potatoes while the other half was beds of things like brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli etc... Come to think of it just about everything I don't eat.

I was looking on Google maps only a few days ago and these allotments are still there despite the town growing out and around them.

BTW Guess who had to do all the digging? (a clue - not him). I think they were quarter acre blocks too.

Edit:

Ooops - just realised this is a very old resurrected thread.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 05:04 PM

I've started helping look after our friend's allotment. She's always bringing us fruit and veg around, or letting me go there to pick some. I thought it was about time I earned my greens. She's away at the moment and I've been there this morning digging and raking the potato patches. I'd dug the potatoes out on a previous visit.

She said to take whatever I want, so I came away with some raspberries, a couple of courgettes and some tomatoes. I might go again on Friday to spread compost around.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Ah the institution of the british allotment system. one could write a book about them - as I'm sure someone may have done so already??

My mother-in-law moved to a small estate of newly built cottages for retired folks. She has worked in the local hospital for a long time and apparently the council in due consideration of her and others services allocated them these beautiful new cottages. I and my kids would walk through the woods for 30 mins to visit her.

If I recall she had a small and I mean small front lawn and a slightly larger back lawn and that was it. Other retired colleagues of hers, the more robust and usually male took another option, and that was renting an allotment from the local council at a nominal fee. I can remember standing in her back garden, on a slopping hill looking at these allotments in the distance. You could see matchstick men pottering around and many had erected small sheds for their tools etc. I did pay one close up visit and found them all to be industrious and well kept. Sad to hear that some get neglected and unused. There must be thousands all over UK in various forms of use or non-use. When I lived close by I had a sixty feet long back garden x 20 feet wide which kept me pretty busy tilling and growing. Fortunately I had purchased an old mechanical tilling machine which although slow did a much better job than I could manually and saved my back a bit! I think on recollection we grew enough vegies to last 6mths of the year before running out and resorting to shopping. The allotments of England heh - part of the culture; the history the future??
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2018, 10:05 PM

If you don't have an allotment, you don't have to worry about losing the plot, maybe that is a consideration, for some folks who wish to grow their own, but end up wandering round Farmfoods.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

05-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If you don't have an allotment, you don't have to worry about losing the plot, maybe that is a consideration, for some folks who wish to grow their own, but end up wandering round Farmfoods.
I've gotra few carrots I could help you to find a home for at the moment ?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I'll be putting compost down tomorrow to enrich the soil. The plot thickens.

Page 10 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top