Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 04:14 AM

Anti-barking device for a dog

Not sure if this should be in general as it's not my pet but...

I mentioned a few weeks ago about my neighbours who have bought a small black terrier-type dog.
This dog will not stop barking. It yaps at anything that moves and my wife and myself find this extremely annoying.

I understand it's a breed that is prone to barking constantly but this stupid animal is now becoming a nuisance. I have had a word with my neighbour who is always polite and friendly but tediously dull as he is an accountant. He knows I work nights and I have told him that come the nice weather I will be sitting in my garden with a book and that his dog will cause concern. He says it's because it is a puppy and will 'grow out of it' soon.

Do you know of any devices that I can purchase which will stop a dog barking which are on the market and are proven to work?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 04:55 AM

Re: Anti-barking device for a dog

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

Do you know of any devices that I can purchase which will stop a dog barking which are on the market and are proven to work?
A bullet between the eyes is pretty effective and humaine. If it doesn't work shoot the dog as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 05:01 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_30wg0yo6m4_e

huge choice in the link above
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 05:58 AM

A nice smelly raw bone through the letter box will do the trick for a while .
I take it they are not in to hear their annoying dog .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 06:40 AM

I've asked some of the lads at work about those devices from Amazon and they say that they don't work.

Dunno about the raw bone, Muddy. I love dogs as a rule but this one is a complete nightmare.

I don't want to fall out with my neighbours but I can see it happening in the summer. Working nights I'm seriously looking forward to chilling out in the garden. I fear I may lose my rag with my neighbour soon.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 08:47 AM

Can I venture a question, how much does it actually bark ? If it's constant for hours the council dog warden can act, but if it's normal barking and yes there is such a thing then not much you can do.

Normal barking appears to be to alert to strangers approaching the property, guarding in other words, excitement when family member arrives home and a few other occasions but those are ones we were reported for and the dog warden said was absolutely normal and cruel to stop happening.

Sometimes you just have to accept others are entitled to live their lives too, I'd love to kill various neighbours washing machines but we have to accept they are allowed to do their washing anytime they like.

It's tough working nights Nathan has a terrible time sleeping when he's on that shift so I do sympathise.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:40 AM

Your neighbour said it was because it's a puppy?

It is because it is a puppy that he should be teaching it NOW!
At what age does the stupid man intend to start teaching it right from wrong??
It is not much good suddenly at 12 months old, expecting the dog to understand not to bark, when he's growing up believing it is perfectly acceptable!

Is the dog left alone all day, or does the chap work from home, Floydy?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:43 AM

There is a labrador behind my new home that barks a lot if I go into the garden, or it hears any noise at all. It seems that most surrounding neighbours are sick of it but haven't done anything about it for a few years.
When my late dog Floyd was a pup I used a clicker to distract him whenever he barked for more than a minute or two. That worked very well.
People shouting doesn't work as the dog thinks they're joining in!
I have a fiendish plot, I am buying a dog whistle, hopefully blowing it will start this dog off, if it does I will do it at night when the family are trying to relax or sleep.
At the moment, it barks at the bottom of their garden so can hardly be heard by them.
If this fails I'll get on to the council as it goes on for hours and I can't hear myself think!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Not sure if this should be in general as it's not my pet but...

I mentioned a few weeks ago about my neighbours who have bought a small black terrier-type dog.
This dog will not stop barking. It yaps at anything that moves and my wife and myself find this extremely annoying.

I understand it's a breed that is prone to barking constantly but this stupid animal is now becoming a nuisance. I have had a word with my neighbour who is always polite and friendly but tediously dull as he is an accountant. He knows I work nights and I have told him that come the nice weather I will be sitting in my garden with a book and that his dog will cause concern. He says it's because it is a puppy and will 'grow out of it' soon.

That was my first laugh of the day.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 09:50 AM

My guess is that your neighbour is not paying the dog enough attention. Our neighbour's dog would bark for hours and tbh, we got so used to it we didn't notice it in the end but I can understand how it's difficult for you trying to sleep during the day anyway, apart from the barking dog.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top