Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Three cylinders.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the subject to comment decisively but, logically, I should have thought that a hypothetical engine with one 1 litre cylinder would provide the same power as one with four 250 ml cylinders.

Obviously, I should have thought that 4 cylinders would run more smoothly than a single one, but as for three cylinders I don't know. All I know really is that reviewers of the Golf 3 cylinder engines (I have a 4 cylinder one) state that they drive smoothly and just as well as 4 cylinder designs.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 12:06 PM

There have been some very successful 3 cylinder motorcycles over the years so I see no reason why they should not be successful in cars.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Been sort of looking around for the next car,probably a hatchback like a Astra or 308,which got me thinking about the 308's 3 cylinders,we all know about the 4 cylinder jobbies of all makes and their endurance,I suspect every one knows of a car with 100,000+ miles on them (petrol or diesel) but is the 3 cylinder still in its infancy to tell if its a stayer to record high mileage? any thoughts people.
Look at is as half of a V6.........
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 08:27 PM

I'm looking for a car with a Deltic engine. 18 cylinders.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm looking for a car with a Deltic engine. 18 cylinders.
The obvious question is why.

I did 100,000 miles in this 12-pot fellow.

Its thirst for the motion lotion and limited accommodation for a growing family made it increasingly impractical.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-06-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The obvious question is why.
Well, there is the distinct advantage of enormous power.

Then, of course, the main disadvantage is that they only run on rails.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

23-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Well, there is the distinct advantage of enormous power.

Then, of course, the main disadvantage is that they only run on rails.
So the question remains.
Why would you want a car with one?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
So the question remains.
Why would you want a car with one?
It was a joke.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2018, 02:03 AM

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the subject to comment decisively but, logically, I should have thought that a hypothetical engine with one 1 litre cylinder would provide the same power as one with four 250 ml cylinders.

Obviously, I should have thought that 4 cylinders would run more smoothly than a single one, but as for three cylinders I don't know. All I know really is that reviewers of the Golf 3 cylinder engines (I have a 4 cylinder one) state that they drive smoothly and just as well as 4 cylinder designs.
All this is answered in that video I put up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
All this is answered in that video I put up.
Sorry, I did see that before, but the length of the video put me off watching as I was too busy.

I have now, though, watched the first few minutes and can see that there are pros and cons of 3-cylinder engines. Taking things into consideration, and because neither of us ever drive at 'high revs' (we are, after all, old-age pensioners now) the 'cons' win and this confirms my wisdom in going for a more traditional 4-cylinder, although it does include a turbocharger.

I couldn't watch the video all the way through as the chap seemed to like making 'humorous' comments instead of just getting straight to the nitty-gritty and, for that reason, the thing went on for far too long.

It seems that some of the Aussies take after some of the Americans in that they do like the sound of their own voice!

Said in jest; no personal insults intended.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top