Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:01 AM

De-extincting mammoths

A Harvard genetics team is attempting to bring back Wooly Mammoths. There is no shortage of Mammoth DNA due to them remaining frozen in the perma-frost since their extinction 3,000 years ago. The team believes that they will be able to clone mammoths by using elephants as the host.

How very exciting.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:25 AM

Re: De-extincting mammoths

Totally irresponsible - remember Jurassic Park?

OK that was just a film, but some of the points it made were valid. The world has moved on and no longer has the habit to sustain these creatures. Are they going to breed them just to keep them in captivity for their own amusement?

Sorry to rain on your parade, Bakerman, but I do think scientists should stop playing God.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:41 AM

I think it's a great idea but the DNA may not be viable and as elephants themselves are difficult to breed it may never happen.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:54 AM

How long would it be before the poor creatures were hunted for sport?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 08:36 AM

They would be so lovely fluffy elephants !
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:31 AM

The Japanese started researching cloning them years ago.Lots of docus on Russian satellite TV over the years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Totally irresponsible - remember Jurassic Park?

OK that was just a film, but some of the points it made were valid. The world has moved on and no longer has the habit to sustain these creatures. Are they going to breed them just to keep them in captivity for their own amusement?

Sorry to rain on your parade, Bakerman, but I do think scientists should stop playing God.

I feel just the same as you Tabs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
How long would it be before the poor creatures were hunted for sport?

Or on UJ's menu . . .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Oh, come on. There are lots of places where wooly mammoths could happily survive. The Siberian Plain for one example and several places in North America. In over-crowded Europe ? NO ! But the world is vast, and much of it is uninhabited. A European may not comprehend seeing a sign that says, "NEXT PETROL, 150 Km", but I assure you those places exist.

Very easy to surgically insert a mammoth's embryo in an elephant. Simply put her under sedation and do what ever is necessary.

If this succeeds, think of the possibilities. Americans succeeded in bringing the Giant Condor back from the brink of extinction. The American Black-footed Ferret was thought to be extinct. Several breeding pairs were found and now the species are doing quite well. The Chinese Panda seems determined to go extinct but the Chinese people refused to give up. Now, the Panda is alive and thriving.

The very thought of a living, happy herd of Wooly Mammoths roaming the tundra, gives me goose-bumps of pleasure.

If it takes a hundred well armed men to protect the Wooly Mammoth then so be it. I'd darn sure do it for free.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Sounds like a mammoth task they are undertaking. Well someone had to say it

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top