Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Re: Insect bites

Sounds nasty Mups ... I got nibbled a couple of years back.
I had a 3 by 4 bite on my arm ... and another 4 by 1 on my shoulder blade.
They went all red and angry and itchy and the one on my back started to get a blister look to it.

My doctor said put calamine on it ... didn't help at all.
To ease the itching and swelling and put a cold pack on it, I had a stack of them in the fridge .. after that I just put 1% hydrocortisone cream on them two or three times a day.
They still took about 2 months to fade.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Gnats , mossys and flying biting things love me , so I am using deet insect repellent , I went out the other night and although I'd sprayed myself I must have missed a bit on my arm cause a little blighter got me , I'm using tiger balm to stop it itching . The deet spray is good but it smells .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:14 PM

If I happen to get bitten by gnats or midges, I tend to smear on Savlon cream to the affected area and it very soon stops the itching.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 03:28 PM

I had that awful insect bite on my big toe last year that became infected and went into a large orange blister. I had to keep going to the surgery to have it dressed.

I have had lots of bites in the last few weeks but l immediately put vinegar on them and they haven’t errupted into anything worse. They even bite through my clothes!

I admit to piercing one that blistered, with a sterilised needle as l couldn’t be doing with going backwards and forwards to the surgery.
Luckily, it has now cleared up.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:25 PM

This inflamed area is still growing, it's even bigger since lunchtime! It's burning and stinging like mad too.

I just popped up to the pharmacy next to my doctors and showed the lady. She called one of the pharmacist's over.
He said I need to see the nurse at the surgery.

I told him it will be about September before I can get an appointment.

He called another pharmacist over to have a look.
This one said to go in the docs right now, and tell them the pharmacist sent me, and if I have any trouble, I'm to go back and tell him.

So I trundles in to the docs next door and saw two miserable looking receptionists, no smile, no - good afternoon can we help - nothing.

I told them the pharmacist had sent me, and that he thought I needed to see the nurse.

No way!

She said they were fully booked but she might be able to fit me in tomorrow!

So back to ther pharmacy I go, and told them what reception had said.

Next minute, one of the male pharmacists goes marching straight into the docs.
He was gone a few minutes, then came back and smiled at me and said "They will see you now."
Bless that man's heart. Wasn't that good of him, what a lovely fella.

So back I goes to the doctors, booked in (after an icy glare from the old bat on reception ), and within 5 minutes the nurse practitioner called me in.

She had a look, felt how hot the arm was, and said she would give me some antihistamines to take twice a day.
She also said she would ring me at 8 o/clock tomorrow morning to see how it was then, and if it was still getting bigger I am to go back and collect some Penicillan first thing.

And so that was that. I have taken the first tablet and will see what happens overnight.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This inflamed area is still growing.

I just popped up to the pharmacy next to my doctors and showed the lady. She called one of the pharmacist's over.
He said I need to see the nurse at the surgery.

I told him it will be about September before I can get an appointment.

He called another pharmacist over to have a look.
This one said to go in the docs right now, and tell them the pharmacist sent me, and if I have any trouble, I'm to go back and tell him.

So I trundles in to the docs next door and saw two miserable looking receptionists, no smile, no - good afternoon can we help - nothing.

I told them the pharmacist had sent me, and that he thought I needed to see the nurse.

No way!

She said they were fully booked but she might be able to fit me in tomorrow!
Doctors' receptionists have a reputation of being a pain in the arse. Fortunately, ours have been tamed now!

I hope you took the pharmacist at his word.

I can imagine that he would have telephoned the surgery and demanded that you be seen the same day.

Another option would have been to go to Casualty and explain that the receptionists at your GP practice refused your request to see the doctor.

In either event, the receptionist concerned would hopefully have received a well-deserved kick up the backside.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Doctors' receptionists have a reputation of being a pain in the arse. Fortunately, ours have been tamed now!

I hope you took the pharmacist at his word.

I can imagine that he would have telephoned the surgery and demanded that you be seen the same day.

Another option would have been to go to Casualty and explain that the receptionists at your GP practice refused your request to see the doctor.

In either event, the receptionist concerned would hopefully have received a well-deserved kick up the backside.

JBR, my apologies, I "Sent" the post by mistake before I had finished. I have added the outcome now.

I didn't want to have to go to casuality if I could avoid it, as its almost a 40 mile round trip for me, and it would be horrendous in the rush hour and this heat.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 05:44 PM

Mups as I said on the phone, I was concerned about the size of your bite and I am delighted to hear they your Pharmacist was so good.
I was afraid that it may be cellulitis, and that is why they are calling you tomorrow, because it is quite serious and the first stage of treatment is antibiotics.

When you speak to you Pharmacist again, tell him that a friend was very impressed with him, because if it is cellulitis, early diagnosis and treatment are essential.
I would also remind the old bat at the surgery that Pharmacist are authorized to give medical advice, but doctors receptionist are not.
Keep your eye on it and make sure you get the care you need!
I am at the other end of the phone if you are concerned
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:08 PM

I had a mishap the Sunday before last, I disturbed a wasp's nest

I got stung 8 times in various places, luckily I'm not allergic!

The stings were sore for about 24 hours but after that they gave me no more trouble except for 1 on my arm which kept on itch, itch, itch for days. I used hot spoons and everything else I could think of but the bugger would not calm down.

It was ok today...until I read this thread and now the stupid thing's itching again
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Can someone please explain why do they put a hot spoon onto a bite , and does the spoon have to be really burny hot ,if so what does this do

(Honestly never heard of this before )

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top