Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 03:59 PM

On growing old

I can't say, with any certainty, exactly what I thought growing old would actually feel like. But, I surely didn't expect this endless fatigue and pain.

I have forgotten what it feels like to awaken to a new day filled with energy and enthusiasm ready to tackle a new day.

Now, at age 72, each day is one long, boring, tiresome, fatiguing experience, filled with numerous naps. Day after day, month after month it continues. I've had my last really good day. The pain is manageable but it never lets up.

I wish I could sleep for an entire night, maybe a decent 9 uninterrupted hours. But those days are long over. I live only a few minutes from Mexico and perhaps the answer is to get some good pills that will put me down for a good sleep. The so-called doctors in Mexico will write a Rx for just about anything.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I guess every old fart goes through the same thing. I just hope the old man will come for me soon. I'll go with him gladly.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Re: On growing old

Bakerman, I think you need to cheer yourself up, I have a lot of Ailments and don't get a lot of sleep, but that is life, you have to get on with it. Try taking up a Hobbie or making some new friends, go out and about to places. Being miserable will only make things worse.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Bakerman, I can relate to most of what you say but my best time is the morning and I steadily get more and more tired and weary as the day goes on. I’m thankful that at the moment I don’t have a lot of pain but it’s this endless tiredness that gets me down. Fortunately I’m not on my own and my hubby is amazing, having taken over most of my jobs since I became ill.

As Susie says, try to get out if you can and meet people, join a club of people with similar hobbies, it helps break the day up if you have some plans.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I can't say, with any certainty, exactly what I thought growing old would actually feel like. But, I surely didn't expect this endless fatigue and pain.

I have forgotten what it feels like to awaken to a new day filled with energy and enthusiasm ready to tackle a new day.

Now, at age 72, each day is one long, boring, tiresome, fatiguing experience, filled with numerous naps. Day after day, month after month it continues. I've had my last really good day. The pain is manageable but it never lets up.

I wish I could sleep for an entire night, maybe a decent 9 uninterrupted hours. But those days are long over. I live only a few minutes from Mexico and perhaps the answer is to get some good pills that will put me down for a good sleep. The so-called doctors in Mexico will write a Rx for just about anything.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I guess every old fart goes through the same thing. I just hope the old man will come for me soon. I'll go with him gladly.
Get a dog! And maybe a camera. They both get me out of the house. I walk around 10 miles a day, lost weight, and have a better frame of mind. I meet other people, mostly dog walkers so we have at least that in common to start with.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Get a dog! And maybe a camera. They both get me out of the house. I walk around 10 miles a day, lost weight, and have a better frame of mind. I meet other people, mostly dog walkers so we have at least that in common to start with.
Good idea Besoeker!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:27 PM

I feel for you bakerman; although I am at the relatively young age of 51 I certainly know what fatigue feels like.

It might be hard for you to raise your level of interest, but there are some good suggestions above.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:29 PM

At my age of 73 what keeps me interested is photography. Just had a quick look at your area and from what I saw there is loads to take photos of. Get along to the zoo for a start .

Sitting around getting depress is not good for you even though we all feel like that sometimes.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
At my age of 73 what keeps me interested is photography. Just had a quick look at your area and from what I saw there is loads to take photos of. Get along to the zoo for a start .

Sitting around getting depress is not good for you even though we all feel like that sometimes.
Yes, probably true for most folks. I had some therapy for it but the dog did a far better job than any therapist. Difficult to explain...........

We can walk out the front gate and I may tell him right or left but beyond that we can go for an hour or so in companionable silence. Peace. tranquility. We do the meet and greet on the way but he usually just lies down - with his eyes on me.

The photography? Well I take odd things that catch my eye. This is a plant in our back garden.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:51 PM

Some of us are like fine wine, - we grow better as we age.!!!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 06:56 PM

I've been looking around for a dog. Lots of chihuahua's around here. Yuck ! Also plenty of pits bulls , but I wouldn't own one of those killers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top