Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Re: Pond help ....

Missy
Funnily enough, that's what I've been doing, spraying - not that I knew about the chlorine evaporating quicker - just that I thought it would be less stress on the resident wildlife if they thought it was gentle rain, rather than giving them a tsumami effect

Dingy
Thanks about the water conditioner. I was at the aquatic centre at the garden centre today and asked about topping up with tap water. He reckoned, if I've no fish, it will be ok.

Incidentally, I don't have a water butt. It usually rains so much here, I don't need one ...

JB
There was a pump and waterfall set up in the pond when I came here, but as I was going to get rid of the pond, the guy who did the kitchen took it all away.

I thought about buying those solar pumps but the cost and you can't guarantee good levels of sunshine anyway.

Well I added water twice today, morning and afternoon. Didn't want to overload it with cold water all at once. It's up to about 3/4 what it used to be now. I'll add some more tomorrow.

It was wonderful to see all the movement from the residents afterwards, and water dripping down like rain from the pergola above, which I also sprayed.

I thought the frogs had vacated it, but glad to see, they're still around. That's a relief.
I keep going out to have a look cos I can feel they're all happier now. I want to see everyone sitting on the rocks, rubbing themselves down with little towels saying whew and diving up and down with joy

Hope they'll all forgive me for not doing it properly before now. But, I'm sure they understand I wasn't sure I could

Thanks again folks.. This place is wonderful for tapping into other's knowledge/views.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Missy
Funnily enough, that's what I've been doing, spraying - not that I knew about the chlorine evaporating quicker - just that I thought it would be less stress on the resident wildlife if they thought it was gentle rain, rather than giving them a tsumami effect

Dingy
Thanks about the water conditioner. I was at the aquatic centre at the garden centre today and asked about topping up with tap water. He reckoned, if I've no fish, it will be ok.

Incidentally, I don't have a water butt. It usually rains so much here, I don't need one ...

JB
There was a pump and waterfall set up in the pond when I came here, but as I was going to get rid of the pond, the guy who did the kitchen took it all away.

I thought about buying those solar pumps but the cost and you can't guarantee good levels of sunshine anyway.

Well I added water twice today, morning and afternoon. Didn't want to overload it with cold water all at once. It's up to about 3/4 what it used to be now. I'll add some more tomorrow.

It was wonderful to see all the movement from the residents afterwards, and water dripping down like rain from the pergola above, which I also sprayed.

I thought the frogs had vacated it, but glad to see, they're still around. That's a relief.
I keep going out to have a look cos I can feel they're all happier now. I want to see everyone sitting on the rocks, rubbing themselves down with little towels saying whew and diving up and down with joy

Hope they'll all forgive me for not doing it properly before now. But, I'm sure they understand I wasn't sure I could

Thanks again folks.. This place is wonderful for tapping into other's knowledge/views.
I;m glad it all worked out ok Pesta.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I;m glad it all worked out ok Pesta.

Me too!

Just realised what I put ... 'tapping into other's knowledge....'
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Me too!

Just realised what I put ... 'tapping into other's knowledge....'
Are we the butt of your jokes?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

09-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Are we the butt of your jokes?

Listen, I've surprised myself having some unconscious wit
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Listen, I've surprised myself having some unconscious wit
Must be the wine.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 10:22 PM

JB

I think if you're hoping to keep livestock, you'd be well advised to get a pump and UV filter.

Yes, although they cost a bob or two, they cost peanuts to run - mine is something like 20W, if I recall correctly, and I keep it running 24/7 (to use a millennial term!).

I wouldn't bother with a solar-powered pump.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 11:46 PM

It's nearly dried up. So much so, I had to hose some tap water in (again).
Hope it won't kill off all the insect swimmies and newts.

What's everyone doing about theirs?

(Mine doesn't have pumps, fountains or gizmos. Just a pond, no fish - only plants, insects/ newts etc)
Mine doesn't have fish now either, the heron ate them, but it is full of wildlife, including newts, water beetles, lava of all sorts, pond skaters etc. I top it up with the hose, which is attached, every other day. With no fish it doesn't have to be full. As long as you don't use much tap water it should be OK, I did it when we had fish too & they all lived to a great age & would have lived even longer & older if the heron hadn't got them. I hope it got dreadful indigestion from eating geriatric fish.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I did it when we had fish too & they all lived to a great age & would have lived even longer & older if the heron hadn't got them. I hope it got dreadful indigestion from eating geriatric fish.
I learnt the hard way too.

Since then, when I have had fish, I have always put a net over the pond.

If you get a black coloured one it becomes almost invisible.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

11-07-2018, 06:36 PM

Must be the wine.
Can't believe I put that.... must've been the migraine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top