Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:38 AM

Computer tech help needed

The HDMI port on my laptop is used up/ non-functional.

So, I was told that if I bought a USb to HMDI adapter I could plug it into the USb 3.0 port, then connect to a HDMI wire and from there to the TV.

Well, I did that but I can not get any picture/audio to play on my TV.

I was also told that if I clicked on the f4 button it would send a signal to ALL PORTS.

When I clicked on the f4 button I see on the right side of my laptop, a window that says "we could not find a second screen to connect to".

Hmm. Anyone have any idea what is happening ? How to fix my problem ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 03:08 PM

Re: Computer tech help needed

Is there a standard VGA output port on your laptop?

If so, one of these may be suitable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-A...hdmi+converter

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Bakerman your device should have come with a CD/DVD on which there would be some drivers to install. Did it? and have you installed them successfully?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 04:24 PM

presumably you are using windows 10 you don't say.

what you can try is type in device manager-click on ports/ system devices, you will need to go through all in the device list etc. if you find one with a red cross against it right click on it for the drop down list and update driver or whatever. sometimes if you disable and restart it the computer may "liven " up that port again.

bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 05:46 PM

I will try to go through each post, one at a time.

Yes, my HP laptop is running windows 10

1.) there is no CD/DVD player within my HP laptop

2.) I have several ports on my laptop. Yes. I have a VGA outlet on my HP laptop. I'll have to go to the store and see if they have a VGA to HDMI adaptor. I watched that video and it sure uses a lot of wires. I'll have to check out if that is possible.

3.) I typed in "device manager" and I saw a list quite similar to the one you posted. I DO NOT see anything with a red cross against it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 06:09 PM

For a start I am not Tech saviee BUT

Windows 10 does not support a Media player.

So what I had to do was download the VLC media player which does play DVDs on my Putor so it might work for your TV
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
For a start I am not Tech saviee BUT

Windows 10 does not support a Media player.

So what I had to do was download the VLC media player which does play DVDs on my Putor so it might work for your TV
strange as I can play videos on windows media player and stills that is on windows10
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
strange as I can play videos on windows media player and stills that is on windows10
I can not play a very old DVD inserted into my computer on Windows 10 as they don't support but VLC does.

Did take me a few months to figer out.

Since Windows 10 started no Computer that I know off that you buy has a port to insert a DVD to and play it.

My one a has DVD download player (Windows 7 upgraded) but to be able to play it you have to download another Media player that is supported by W10.

If you have a DVD port and still on W10 Does it work?????
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The HDMI port on my laptop is used up/ non-functional...

...When I clicked on the f4 button I see on the right side of my laptop, a window that says "we could not find a second screen to connect to".
It seems odd that you get a window popping up if the HDMI port isn't working. Try pressing the Windows logo key and P on your keyboard at the same time. A list of display modes will appear, usually four, and then try "Second Screen" to see if that sorts it.

If not you may need to select the Input Source via your TV Options screen. You may additionally need to set the laptop resolution to match your TV's and possibly set the Refresh Rate as well. The laptop and the TV might use different refresh rates.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
1.) there is no CD/DVD player within my HP laptop.

Ok let's rewind.

What was the USB dongle/gadget that you bought, make, model?

It should have come with some kind of driver or failing that with instructions where to download it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top