Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 11:31 PM

Foreign Aid

Australia's foreign aid program is embarrassing.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 11:36 PM

Re: Foreign Aid

We give far too much in foreign aid as well. I often wonder why we give money and not just goods which stands more chance of reaching the people that need it
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We give far too much in foreign aid as well. I often wonder why we give money and not just goods which stands more chance of reaching the people that need it
Eh? We don't even meet our own targets never mind the UN targets. It's a disgrace.

Foreign Aid is not just money it includes goods and also things like 457 visas and education programs. If an OECD country can't give 0.5% (ie half a cent in every dollar) they should be ashamed.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 05:29 AM

As far as I'm aware the UK meets UN targets. To be honest I'm not sure that's a good thing though.

I agree with providing aid where it's needed but I think a lot of money ends up with countries who really don't need it or it simply lines the pockets of corrupt governments.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 06:51 AM

yes agreed summer - we seem to be aiding countries who are simply just totally incapable of aiding themselves - I always thought it was like 'payback time' we stole it all of you once so now we'll pay it back in small instalments"

have a look on google at the most corrupt to least corrupt countries on the globe - is this just human nature ; personal greed ; benevolent countries or just hard work??
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Perhaps it's a sign that all those years of investment are working and developing countries are far more developed than once they were. You wouldn't expect to keep investing the same amount over time otherwise there is no development.

But what we are seeing now is a step back from globalism into protectionism. The opposite of the capitalist free market. The whole point of foreign aid was not altruistic but acquisitive.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 10:58 AM

Foreign Aid has always bothered me, it's shrouded in underhand dealings, going to the wrong people. I think this country needs to help it's own struggling people first for a change. But then I suppose there is nothing in that for the greedy gits in Westminster..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 11:02 AM

The same will happen with the money if it's kept in the UK Roxy. People will say that it's gone to the wrong people, the wrong people will say they don't see the money. There's no integrity left.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The same will happen with the money if it's kept in the UK Roxy. People will say that it's gone to the wrong people, the wrong people will say they don't see the money. There's no integrity left.
Yes I guess so Annie, Where there's a will there's a way, and there's plenty of will to do the dirty on people in Westminster.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Perhaps it's a sign that all those years of investment are working and developing countries are far more developed than once they were. You wouldn't expect to keep investing the same amount over time otherwise there is no development.

But what we are seeing now is a step back from globalism into protectionism. The opposite of the capitalist free market. The whole point of foreign aid was not altruistic but acquisitive.
I don't see that happening at all. Apparently children are still walking six miles to collect dirty water, have been for years now. Whilst we are giving it, foreign governments are happy to accept it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top