Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:41 PM

Bye Bye Virgin...

After nine years with them they would not drop their prices enough so I cancelled the lot.
Getting roof aerial for freeview...that leaves broadband and landline....
Who have you gone with that you are satisfied with?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 07:43 PM

Re: Bye Bye Virgin...

Don't most providers have inclusive bundles ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Tell me when you can get a virgin to drop anything?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
After nine years with them they would not drop their prices enough so I cancelled the lot.
Getting roof aerial for freeview...that leaves broadband and landline....
Who have you gone with that you are satisfied with?
I agree with you. I only use VM for broadband but they charge me about £40 a month. That's no TV or landline.

They are also unreliable on occasions, although perhaps no worse than others.

I have often thought about changing supplier, but VM is the only fibre broadband company around here and I'm not sure whether we'd be as happy with a much slower download speed.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:18 PM

I'm with SSE and at first it was £12 a month for phone and broadband. Now, after the introductory offer, it's always around £21 a mnonth. I use about £1 a month for phone calls.

I'm not interested in telly and couldn't be bothered searching for someone else to switch to - I doubt they'd be any cheaper and at 17MBs I don't need faster internet.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree with you. I only use VM for broadband but they charge me about £40 a month. That's no TV or landline.

They are also unreliable on occasions, although perhaps no worse than others.

I have often thought about changing supplier, but VM is the only fibre broadband company around here and I'm not sure whether we'd be as happy with a much slower download speed.
Same here and I'd have to have a land-line installed. VM is a bit of a rip-off when compared to other suppliers but their broadband speed is unequalled around here.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 09:14 PM

If it was me poohdog, I'd think about back-pedalling if it's not too late. See if a deal can be struck for broadband only. The connection speeds VM give (if that's important) are usually the best available.

I've been on fibre optic cable since it first came into our area in 1995. It was CableTel back then, soon to become NTL and then Virgin Media. The broadband service has not been without its downtimes over that period but it has been largely reliable and I've been fairly satisfied with it.

I'm on a package at the moment but might see about stopping the TV service and just use Freeview at the end of this year. I wouldn't want to leave VM's cable service entirely though. The Internet connection is good, generally reliable and fast.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Yes, I dropped the landline and TV package from Virgin (without any complaint on their side for a change). The TV package wasn't much cop in any case - just a beefed up version of Freeview. My BB only, costs me £35 p.m for a 100mb connection. If they play silly beggars, I'll cancel that too as a matter of principle.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
If it was me poohdog, I'd think about back-pedalling if it's not too late. See if a deal can be struck for broadband only. The connection speeds VM give (if that's important) are usually the best available.

I've been on fibre optic cable since it first came into our area in 1995. It was CableTel back then, soon to become NTL and then Virgin Media. The broadband service has not been without its downtimes over that period but it has been largely reliable and I've been fairly satisfied with it.

I'm on a package at the moment but might see about stopping the TV service and just use Freeview at the end of this year. I wouldn't want to leave VM's cable service entirely though. The Internet connection is good, generally reliable and fast.
I enquired about a reduction for a slower speed (I think from 100 to 50) and was told it would only reduce my bill by a few pounds. Perhaps there'd be a bigger reduction for losing the TV package.

When I first started, it was NYNEX (New York and New England Exchange). You still see the occasional street furniture with those initials.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Id give my right arm for VM

When I lived in London I was with Blueyonder which was taken over by Virgin and I never could complain about the BB. I had the tv at first but soon cancelled as that was a complete rip off imho

Until two weeks back I was with BT for BB and land line. I dumped them because of the price hikes and have gone to Plusnet for less then half the price, and so far, no drop in speed

For Tv I use Freeview and Freestat as Ive an old sky dish and an arial. I have a Humax box to record and I have Amazon prime which is subscription and Showbox and numerous other apps which are FOC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top