Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 01:46 PM

One Drive problem

Probably my own fault, but having noticed an icon for One Drive in my notification area I opened it and opened 'auto save' in 'settings'.

Under 'choose where to save your desktop, documents and pictures, thinking that this referred to One Drive, I selected 'One Drive' for each only to find that all my desktop shortcuts had disappeared.

Yes, obviously I shouldn't have done it.

I certainly will not do it again!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 02:37 PM

Re: One Drive problem

Here is a a good article on the use of One Drive:

Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...e-8c8e8ca70ac7

I'm going to read through it myself .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Here is a a good article on the use of One Drive:

Files save to OneDrive by default in Windows 10

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...e-8c8e8ca70ac7

I'm going to read through it myself .....
Thanks for that. It is interesting and possibly helpful, except that one or two of the statements seem not to work!

Ideally, I'd like to have all documents, pictures, etc automatically saved to One Drive whenever I save them to my computer.

Before I made this recent change to One Drive, that would happen but only occasionally; not always.

When I changed it to save to One Drive, I thought that option would achieve what I wanted.

This statement on the above web site: "If you change your Desktop setting from OneDrive to This PC, your PC's Desktop may suddenly look empty. This is because the Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders exist in both This PC and OneDrive, which might make them easy to mix up"

Certainly, my desktop 'looked empty', but when I looked, the missing items were not saved in One Drive either!

Also, "The file is not saved to OneDrive unless you do so separately, and it is available only on the PC you used to save it."

I was hoping to achieve a situation where when I save items to my own computer, they would also automatically be saved to One Drive.

Never mind. I'd rather do it the long-winded way than find my desktop cleared!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was hoping to achieve a situation where when I save items to my own computer, they would also automatically be saved to One Drive.
IIRC, the way I've set OneDrive up is to create the required folders, e.g Documents, Pictures, Audio, Video, Walks, in the OneDrive folder and allocate the default Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to Google Backup and Sync.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2018, 04:03 PM

IIRC, the way I've set OneDrive up is to create the required folders, e.g Documents, Pictures, Audio, Video, Walks, in the OneDrive folder and allocate the default Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to Google Backup and Sync.
I, too, have set up folders in One Drive. In my case:

Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Videos

and I routinely copy all new or modified files to those folders (and also the same on Dropbox) until I get round to do backups to my external hard drives.

Automatic copying to One Drive would have saved me an extra bit of work, but not important.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-08-2018, 04:15 PM

I, too, have set up folders in One Drive. In my case:

Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Videos

and I routinely copy all new or modified files to those folders (and also the same on Dropbox) until I get round to do backups to my external hard drives.

Automatic copying to One Drive would have saved me an extra bit of work, but not important.
Under "OneDrive/Account" have you set "Choose Folders" to the ones you required?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Under "OneDrive/Account" have you set "Choose Folders" to the ones you required?
No. To be honest, I haven't seen that option.

Even so, the missing desktop icons can't be found anywhere in One Drive.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

08-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Have you tried this:

To show/hide desktop icons, right-click anywhere on your desktop.

From the context menu, go to View>Show desktop icons.

Enable this option to see icons on your desktop.

Disable it to get a clean desktop.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-08-2018, 07:43 PM

Have you tried this:

To show/hide desktop icons, right-click anywhere on your desktop.

From the context menu, go to View>Show desktop icons.

Enable this option to see icons on your desktop.

Disable it to get a clean desktop.
Thanks. I did.

It was already ticked. Clicking it (removing the tick) and the icons disappeared, so I ticked it again.

There are still one or two icons that I originally had, but had not replaced, and these did not reappear so I assume they are gone for ever.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2018, 05:53 AM

Thanks. I did.

It was already ticked. Clicking it (removing the tick) and the icons disappeared, so I ticked it again.

There are still one or two icons that I originally had, but had not replaced, and these did not reappear so I assume they are gone for ever.
Have you tried a restore.

Hard on Windows 10 unless u made restore points but if you are still on W7 easy peasy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top