Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 10:22 AM

Help again with Broadband please

My B/B keeps spiking and going off randomly.

Phoned BT yesterday after it kept happening. They said it isn't a problem their end.
During this call the B/B light on router was on/off, on/off.... settled for a while, started again.

To cut the story short, if I'm on the phone, (so the line is obviously working), what problem could there be re B/B getting through?

One of BTs suggestions was sending someone to check the phone line. If there is anything wrong with it or the wire on my property, I'll have to pay £120 (I think he said). I said I couldn't afford that (and I can't at the moment. Hence my question re the working phone line and B/B problems.

(Shortform of the call:
He had me taking the front off the phone socket to shove the router connection in there for some sort of check.
I could tweak something online (beyond me what he was on about) and he'd send me details via email and to follow the in-depth instructions. Hello? how can I do anything if I can't get online? - plus I don't understand technology.
Or the engineer can come and check the phone line, and I may be charged)

I've put the router in my eye line to monitor it, and am noting times B/B plays up, in the vain hope it might show a problem their end

Any advice will be welcome
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Re: Help again with Broadband please

All that I say here is IN MY EXPERIENCE

I obviously can't guarantee it will apply to you.....

I have had various problems with BT BB over the years, each time they test the line, tell me the problem isn't their end and then give the same spiell they gave you, i.e. if an engineer comes out and the problem is in the house then I am liable to pay.

It has NEVER been a problem in the house and has ALWAYS been their problem. I have never had to pay.

How old is your router? I have been having issues recently with my BT router, it drops out quite often. I had this problem before and it turned out to be a dodgy router, which they replaced. Now the same thing is happening again (3 years later) so recently I rang them, told them what was happening and said....give me a new router or I go somewhere else for my phone/internet services. New router was sent out 24 hours later.

Obviously, as I said before, I can't say that your problem is the same as mine, can't guarantee the issue isn't in your house but the whole thing about you having to pay if it's not their faulty equipment to blame is standard spiell.

Have you tried rebooting the router?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:00 AM

Try restarting " reboot" your router would be my first thing to do. You don't say if you are using wireless or wired to the router which helps.
Unplug the telephone line and plug it back in and try that.

Nicol
That was my first thought as well a router problem, your post beat me to answering
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Only here for a sec... booted off again

The router flashes on and off for B/B whether I'm online or not
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Nicol
That was my first thought as well a router problem, your post beat me to answering
BT routers are crap.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:37 AM

To re-boot your system then turn off your computer or tablet, ( or whatever you use to connect to internet) and then unplug your router from the power so that no lights show whatever. Then wait at least ten seconds before re-connecting, starting with your router then your computer and give the system at least a minute to sort itself out before trying to log on. This will work 95% of the time if the problem is at your end....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

18-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Strange I tried to post as I was showing 'online' (but I hadn't signed back in yet). So I thought I must be stilled signed in, but when I tried to post the system said I need to sign in

I feel I'm going daft

Yes, I've rebooted the router. If I get any problems, I always switch off at the wall socket and wait, then reboot it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 11:43 AM

I have been with BT for years and have had very few problems. However, I upgrade my router every few years to cope with the increased load coming over broadband.

If friends have broadband problems I lend them one of my old routers - if it fixes the problem (and it often does) then they can apply to their provider for a replacement or upgrade.

So, my advice is - borrow a router (preferably a newer one) .....
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

18-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have been with BT for years and have had very few problems. However, I upgrade my router every few years to cope with the increased load coming over broadband.

If friends have broadband problems I lend them one of my old routers - if it fixes the problem (and it often does) then they can apply to their provider for a replacement or upgrade.

So, my advice is - borrow a router (preferably a newer one) .....
Yea, right - chuck me one of yours please

This one is about 3 yrs old. I feel it's the router TBH, but I need clarification about the phone line working when the B/B isn't, before I go back to BT and be a bit forceful.
Nicol
South east of England

18-08-2018, 11:45 AM

I personally would contact BT and ask for a new router.

It sounds suspiciously similar to how my old router went, it would drop out all the time, sometimes would flash, sometimes not.

I'm especially suspicious if the phone is working ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top