Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Re: Red wine or white ?

I once drank a very nice Australian Cabinet Sauvignon that tasted like blackcurrants. It was beautiful but I could never find in any of our local wine shops. Since then the winery has only been putting out blends of Cab Sauv with Merlot, etc and they're not a patch on the straight Cab Sauv I tried.

For normal dinnertime drinkies, we'll have a glass or two of White Zinfandel Rosé, which is soft and gentle on the palette and goes with most things.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:02 PM

yes PV that is a very nice rose...it goes down very well
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Ok protocol is red for meat and white for fish, that is ok but I don't like red wine . A nice Rosé is ok but red wine is too vinegary for my taste.

which do you prefer with a meal
If its French wine, then I agree with you about vinegar :spit:
For my taste it has to be Italian .. a good Frascati (white) and the best Barolo (red) will usually put a smile on my face
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Sherry and lemonade .
Yuk too sweet .
I only use the finest Coles Diet Lemonade
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 06:40 AM

Most of the red wine imported into the UK is either bad quality or ridiculously pricey. You can go anywhere in Italy or Portugal and have the really decent stuff for a fraction of the price with your meal. But over here it's not easy to get hold of and it's about five times that. On a short break in Portugal last year we basically drank from start to finish because the Douro valley has the most amazing wines. Get back here and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack in the supermarket. Even the specialty websites have only one or two offerings. I also like Malbec if I have red.

But mainly I like white - voigner or Gavi. I like it with ice in the glass because it is never cold enough. This is a very bad habit started during the really hot summer a couple of years ago. Easier than putting the bottle in the freezer.

Rose is ok if it's blush. But I'm not a big fan. Anything sweet is just to be avoided, dry all the way.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:26 AM

I was making wine for 40 years.
Cheers!

Help yourselves!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Most of the red wine imported into the UK is either bad quality or ridiculously pricey. You can go anywhere in Italy or Portugal and have the really decent stuff for a fraction of the price with your meal. But over here it's not easy to get hold of and it's about five times that. On a short break in Portugal last year we basically drank from start to finish because the Douro valley has the most amazing wines. Get back here and it's like looking for a needle in a haystack in the supermarket. Even the specialty websites have only one or two offerings. I also like Malbec if I have red.

But mainly I like white - voigner or Gavi. I like it with ice in the glass because it is never cold enough. This is a very bad habit started during the really hot summer a couple of years ago. Easier than putting the bottle in the freezer.

Rose is ok if it's blush. But I'm not a big fan. Anything sweet is just to be avoided, dry all the way.
That's simply not true Annie.....
All my red wine comes from our local Tesco for less than a fiver a bottle and it tastes absolutely gorgeous....Start paying more than six quid for a bottle and it's bitter and sharp.....Horrible! I hate beer! And whisky, brandy, gin etc are only good for cleaning jewelry or sterilising implements for digging corns and verrucas out of your feet...
I do enjoy a sherry, especially Harveys Bristol Cream at Christmas, it makes me feel all warm and Christmassy....
You can take the boy out of Yorkshire.......
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That's simply not true Annie.....
All my red wine comes from our local Tesco for less than a fiver a bottle and it tastes absolutely gorgeous....Start paying more than six quid for a bottle and it's bitter and sharp.....Horrible! I hate beer! And whisky, brandy, gin etc are only good for cleaning jewelry or sterilising implements for digging corns and verrucas out of your feet...
I do enjoy a sherry, especially Harveys Bristol Cream at Christmas, it makes me feel all warm and Christmassy....
You can take the boy out of Yorkshire.......
I've tried all sorts of prices OGF. It's drinkable but never the smooth quality of cheap wine abroad. I do wonder whether they do something to it before it's exported. The best range I've come across for red is Sainsbury's organic. Douro is great and I found it in Morrisons. I don't know why we haven't had more access to Portuguese wines.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've tried all sorts of prices OGF. It's drinkable but never the smooth quality of cheap wine abroad. I do wonder whether they do something to it before it's exported. The best range I've come across for red is Sainsbury's organic. Douro is great and I found it in Morrisons. I don't know why we haven't had more access to Portuguese wines.
Agreed. Some of the best wine I've drunk was when we lived in Rome. This guy came round with 2 big barrels on the back of his Ape (see attached) - 1 red wine, 1 white. Both wines were from the hills around Rome and both were excellent. Bring your own litre bottle and have it filled for around 50-60p.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ape.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	13733  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 06:31 PM

I won't have anything French on principle. Apart from Italian Chiantis, I don't drink European wines at all. German wines - who would have thought you can buy vinegar in 70cl bottles?

These days, my wines of choice are Australian, especially the McGuigan range. I'm just imbibing in one of their Sauvignons as I type. I find their Chardonnay and Shiraz wines very palatable too.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top