Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 04:19 AM

What human food can dogs (safely) eat

I was just wondering if someone could help clear this up in my mind.

I have been looking to feed Teddy more fibre as he keeps nibbling any green leaf, including my broccoli plants and the newly planted wildflowers in the meadow project at the local park. He saw me plant some beetroot seedlings the other day and I thought he was eyeing them for future snacks. He has also recently had a bit of constipation on walks. Might be due to his arthritis meds.

So I have read :

Apples
peanut butter
bananas
carrots
oatmeal (?!)

Anything else?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:37 AM

Re: What human food can dogs (safely) eat

Our dog liked hot curry. Not a whole lot of it but I used to give her the tinfoil container with Madras curry scrapings in it. She'd tear the container apart in order to get the last scrap.

Not sure it can be recommended as safe but she seemed OK on it (died aged 17).
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

I have been looking to feed Teddy more fibre as he keeps nibbling any green leaf, including my broccoli plants and the newly planted wildflowers in the meadow project at the local park. He saw me plant some beetroot seedlings the other day and I thought he was eyeing them for future snacks. He has also recently had a bit of constipation on walks. Might be due to his arthritis meds.

So I have read :

Apples
peanut butter
bananas
carrots
oatmeal (?!)

Anything else?
Toxic food for dogs

Onions, garlic and chives. The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. ...
Chocolate. ...
Macadamia nuts. ...
Corn on the cob. ...
Avocado. ...
Artificial sweetener (Xylitol) ...
Alcohol. ...
Cooked bones.

A few others.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Give him raw meat twice a week .
Dogs are carnivores and raw meat is good for them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:36 AM

I was surprised some time back, when finding out what 'human food' dogs could not be fed, that was after a chat with a close family member who has dogs. The list is almost endless but obviously all are listed for a reason. Just like us humans, dogs should only be fed on what they would be naturally expected to consume, and as the 'domesticated' wild animals they actually are:

https://www.theukrules.co.uk/rules/l...-dog-food.html
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:42 AM

Fang der Wunderhund our Yorkie eats, apple, carrot steamed broccoli, rice. His main foods are raw beef and kibble, I don’t like to feed him the same stuff every day, he is healthy, shiny coat, clear eyes and no tartar on his teeth.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Humans are actually quite yummy for dogs and cats judging by the number of deceased owners who get snacked upon by their pets when the latter run out of food.

Something for all pet owners to look forward to.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 09:58 AM

There are a few our dog treats we give him.
A rice bone
Lightly salted corn cake
An antler. This last for a couple of week or more.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

So I have read :

Apples
peanut butter
bananas
carrots
oatmeal (?!)

Anything else?

Hi Annie, First of all, I am wondering why he is constipated.
You say you think it ' might ' due to his meds, so first of all, I would make sure.
Even if it is the meds, I would ask my vet whether a different drug might suit him better.

Does he destroy toys or eat anything that could have caused a blockage? I would not assume it to be meds.
I suspect his tummy might feel uncomfortable for a reason, and that is also why he is eating strange things.

Personally, (and this is only my own view), I would try not to resort to drugs for Arthritis before trying kinder ways first.

I would try a course of something from Lintbells for example. They do more natural remedies for both stiff limbs and aching joints, plus they also do digestive aids with pro-biotics in too.
On top of that, I have always found them really nice, helpful to deal with if you phone for advice.
Dont' expect an overnight miracle, as natural things take time.

https://www.lintbells.com/

Also, I might consider Psyllium Husk as a means of fibre for him. Not the colured, sweetened stuff they put in Fybogel for humans, but the pure, unsweetened stuff.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prote...SABEgJG9PD_BwE

One last thing. Be very careful and read the label before giving Peanut Butter, as some brands use Xylitol (or it can be written as E967) as a sweetener, which of course, is toxic for dogs.
Good luck and I hope he feels more himself soon.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Humans are actually quite yummy for dogs and cats judging by the number of deceased owners who get snacked upon by their pets when the latter run out of food.

Something for all pet owners to look forward to.
Back in the old days cats were quite fond of Christians

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top