Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 08:17 AM

Re: Coronoavirus: Furlough Wind Down Starts

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I believe that the furlough scheme was one of the biggest mistakes made where the effect on the UK economy is concerned if not the biggest.
I doubt you'd hold that opinion if you were employed in an industry which has been shut down completely because of the virus! For those people, it's been a lifesaver.........though they'd prefer to be able to work.

Some people continue to be unable to work - most theatres cannot operate with social distancing...............there will be massive unemployment at the end of the furlough scheme!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Some people continue to be unable to work - most theatres cannot operate with social distancing...............there will be massive unemployment at the end of the furlough scheme!
Agreed. I'd imagine that many people will re-evaluate how they use their cash, especially in terms of for "enjoyment" activities.

One would hope that there'd be an increase of spending it on goods produced and sourced more locally rather than multinationals. But I fear that Amazon and the large supermarket chains have such a tight hold on matters that there will me no real change.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
One would hope that there'd be an increase of spending it on goods produced and sourced more locally rather than multinationals. But I fear that Amazon and the large supermarket chains have such a tight hold on matters that there will me no real change.
Got to disagree with you on that. There's a general feeling that we don't want to buy goods from China and we will favour UK produced goods to help the economy.

Think it could be a good idea to list British made household goods on this forum............
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A value judgement by Government.

No Furlough, massive job losses and a bigger burden on the Taxpayer.
Spot on there Swimmy.... 👍
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Got to disagree with you on that. There's a general feeling that we don't want to buy goods from China and we will favour UK produced goods to help the economy.

Think it could be a good idea to list British made household goods on this forum............
I hope you're right. Trouble is that if it's cheaper to buy an equivalent product from abroad (even China), then most people will do so.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 11:43 AM

I doubt you'd hold that opinion if you were employed in an industry which has been shut down completely because of the virus! For those people, it's been a lifesaver.........though they'd prefer to be able to work.

Of course there willyu!

This furlough nonsense is and has been pointless. Job losses were obviously inevitable from the start. This Chinese Plague is going to have the same devastating effects on society as all previous global pandemic have had.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

03-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Of course there willyu!

This furlough nonsense is and has been pointless. Job losses were obviously inevitable from the start. This Chinese Plague is going to have the same devastating effects on society as all previous global pandemic have had.

Shall we just disagree on furlough being pointless? I can categorically say it HAS NOT BEEN POINTLESS!! ...........perhaps you're not in a position to take advantage of what has been a very generous scheme, but many have and I hope they'll be able to return to work.

I wasn't around during the Influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 so don't have first-hand knowledge of that, but other than flu vaccinations for older people, there appears to be no long-lasting devastating effect..............and I certainly hope that with the advances in medicine and technology, there won't be for this pandemic!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 01:06 PM

Shall we just disagree on furlough being pointless? I can categorically say it HAS NOT BEEN POINTLESS!! ...........perhaps you're not in a position to take advantage of what has been a very generous scheme, but many have and I hope they'll be able to return to work.

I wasn't around during the Influenza pandemic of 1918-1919 so don't have first-hand knowledge of that, but other than flu vaccinations for older people, there appears to be no long-lasting devastating effect..............and I certainly hope that with the advances in medicine and technology, there won't be for this pandemic!
Jobs were going to be lost come what may furlough or no furlough.

All the money wasted on a pointless exercise, and that is what it has been, will not affect the huge impact on jobs one iota.

Better just to have done nothing and let the people get sacked and claim benefits, the cost would have been less because the payments would have been means tested.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

03-09-2020, 01:11 PM

Jobs were going to be lost come what may furlough or no furlough.

All the money wasted on a pointless exercise, and that is what it has been, will not affect the huge impact on jobs one iota.

Better just to have done nothing and let the people get sacked and claim benefits, the cost would have been less because the payments would have been means tested.

On the same basis, you could say why bother with vaccinations as we're all going to get it, and we're all going to die.
..................you first........show the rest of us how it's done!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

03-09-2020, 01:33 PM

On the same basis, you could say why bother with vaccinations as we're all going to get it, and we're all going to die.
..................you first........show the rest of us how it's done!
A very different thing. Vaccination is a means of preventing a disease and when sufficient people have been immunised stopping it being transferred to others.

In the case of this futile and pointless waste of money it was akin to vaccinating a corpse.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top