Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Re: Shetland Islands want Independence

Not only Shetland, but also Orkney now, from what I have read.

And they don't want independence from the UK, but from Scotland. I believe they dislike the Fish Woman more than most of the other Scots.

No, the impression I get is that if Scotland should gain its independence from the UK, both Shetland and Orkney would rather remain part of the UK.

I think that would suit us all, except for the SNP of course!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 09:01 AM

Doesn't matter if they like the FM or not. Independence doesn't mean that the SNP will always be in charge. That's like not taking a house because you don't like the decor. Once the Union Parties have to break with Westminster and go their own way, they could become good for Scotland.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Just watching some young people in Scotland being interviewed on the news this morning, saying that they are definitely in favour of Scottish independence and that there will be 'loads of advantages'.

They didn't manage to state what those advantages would be, though.

They didn't seem aware of the disadvantages either: no Barnett formula, no self-supporting pound (until they join the Euro), no definite invitation to join the EU, etc, etc.

If the majority of young Scots labour under the misapprehension of the realities of Scottish Independence, it might well happen.

I don't wish them anything bad, but it should be interesting if they do go independent.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just watching some young people in Scotland being interviewed on the news this morning, saying that they are definitely in favour of Scottish independence and that there will be 'loads of advantages'.

They didn't manage to state what those advantages would be, though.

They didn't seem aware of the disadvantages either: no Barnett formula, no self-supporting pound (until they join the Euro), no definite invitation to join the EU, etc, etc.

If the majority of young Scots labour under the misapprehension of the realities of Scottish Independence, it might well happen.

I don't wish them anything bad, but it should be interesting if they do go independent.
It will only happen if Westminster permit it. This whole mess is 100% attributable to Blair as is so very much of the damage that has been done to the UK. If I had a time machine and an AK-47 ---

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top