Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Whose Job is it To Make Plans Happen?

We keep hearing of ideas to make changes in UK.
Be it Brexit, NHS, Corvid, you name it.

I, for one, often see the value of these plans and would like to see a reasoned introduction.
But I, like others, rarely see that happen.

Why?

Because once the ideas are put out to the Civil Service, who are paid, handsomely, to fulfil implementations for the government, things stop happening!

Or, at the very least, they slow down and costs increase massively.

Every private business would go broke if it employed people like this!

Some sackings have started - but why not sack the whole lot?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Re: Whose Job is it To Make Plans Happen?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

I, for one, often see the value of these plans and would like to see a reasoned introduction.
But I, like others, rarely see that happen.

Why?

Because once the ideas are put out to the Civil Service, who are paid, handsomely, to fulfil implementations for the government, things stop happening!

Or, at the very least, they slow down and costs increase massively.

Every private business would go broke if it employed people like this!

Over a (short) period that is precisely what should take place for probably the vast vast majority. There IS such a thing as the Civil Service mindset, it is extremely contagious, and can not be cured.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 09:54 PM

Could you give an example of the NHS/covid changes that have been thwarted. I'm avoiding any Brexit chat these days
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Could you give an example of the NHS/covid changes that have been thwarted. I'm avoiding any Brexit chat these days
And HS2 is well on the way?

Donkeyman! 😇😇
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
And HS2 is well on the way?

Donkeyman! 😇😇
It doesn't appear the civil service stopped it.

Anyway I was just asking because the civil service and the public sector aren't one and the same. Does the OP mean the civil servants in places such as the Cabinet office? Because there are Public bodies which are not comprised of Civil servants.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Anyway I was just asking because the civil service and the public sector aren't one and the same. Does the OP mean the civil servants in places such as the Cabinet office? Because there are Public bodies which are not comprised of Civil servants.
their careers web site tells us what job they think they have!

https://www.civil-service-careers.gov.uk/departments/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:26 AM

The public bodies are grossly overstaffed and overpaid based on the actual work most of them do and the civil service have lost the plot and need to be restaffed with people who will do what they are told by the minister and not stick their six peneth in.

I REALLY mean that. In the private sector most of them, cs and those in public bodies wouldn't get through the door let alone last five minutes.

But for me the real annoyance is that the SOB's believe that they're so essential while although some of the jobs and services are the people doing those jobs are anything but.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:38 AM

I'd rather they sacked appointees like Dido "Incompetent" Harding, Baroness Harding of Winscombe (Chair of the National Institute for Health Protection, Head of NHS Test and Trace, Chair of NHS Improvement, Member of the House of Lords) .....

Famously, as CEO of TalkTalk (private business), she was incumbent when the company experienced a 'significant and sustained cyber-attack', during which personal and banking details of up to four million customers were thought to have been accessed. When asked if the affected customer data was encrypted or not, she replied: 'The awful truth is that I don't know'. The magazine Marketing ran a headline, 'TalkTalk boss Dido Harding's utter ignorance is a lesson to us all'.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The public bodies are grossly overstaffed and overpaid based on the actual work most of them do and the civil service have lost the plot and need to be restaffed with people who will do what they are told by the minister and not stick their six peneth in.

I REALLY mean that. In the private sector most of them, cs and those in public bodies wouldn't get through the door let alone last five minutes.

But for me the real annoyance is that the SOB's believe that they're so essential while although some of the jobs and services are the people doing those jobs are anything but.
Hi

Fine.

Sack them all and do it yourselves.

No more 5 Eyes, GCHQ, MI5 or MI6.

No more Porton Down.

Your choice, your decision.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

12-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Fine.

Sack them all and do it yourselves.

No more 5 Eyes, GCHQ, MI5 or MI6.

No more Porton Down.

Your choice, your decision.
Just try reading what I wrote, not what you imagine I wrote. Portion Down? WHY IS IT EVEN OPEN?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top