Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 09:48 PM

Re: 26% Pay cut !!!

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
sorting out every high paid star?

....by doing what?

As suggested elsewhere, offer them all £150k and if they don't like it they can look elsewhere. If they have a unique talent they'll be in demand, if not then they're easliy replaced.

BTW You are Zoe Ball and I claim my £5.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 09:53 PM

The BBC now have their own LTP.
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
they're easliy replaced
They're not.

The technicalities of the job itself makes it extremely difficult to get the right people, especially for live events and news.

...and I highlighted every because the entire market is a private \ public service crossover which is driven high by the commercial sector. If the BBC brought in presenters capped to the levels you suggest it wouldn't get through the first news broadcast and be brought to account by the BBC trust and the DCMS
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Linaker's pay cut is certainly a welcome, if minor, move.
However, I believe that this is only the beginning.

From what I read, not only here, but in many other sources, people are increasingly cancelling their TV licences. This is understandable, of course, with all the recent publicity of BBC over-payments of executives and 'celebrities' and especially their decision to begin charging over-75s to watch their televisions. I think they really shot themselves in the foot with that last one.

The more people who cease paying their compulsory tax, the lower their income and, consequently, the less they will be able to pay their 'stars' and bosses.

I am also of the opinion that sooner or later, due to public pressure, the government will force them to compete fairly with all other TV production companies by advertising or directly selling their programmes.

The BBC are frightened to death of this possibility as for all these years they have not been obliged to compete directly with others in their industry.

I freely admit that the BBC have produced some excellent programmes in the past (or perhaps have paid other companies to do that for them), so when push comes to shove, and if they wish to sell their output to the public, they're going to have to get their act together.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 10:32 PM

Forget the earnings, look at the output, and the gender.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top