Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:51 PM

Re: Remainers

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi Letters,

Concerning your question about the TCA: I did *not* read the entire 1200+ pages and I do not know enything which you cannot know as well. I guess that two prominent examples are fishing (so important for UK) and the absence of most services in the TCA.

As far as I know it is not "the EU" to decide ink colors but it is the member countries themselves. I do not *know* why those color decisions were made (and I guess you do neither) and my suspection does not mean much. Probably I guess it is a precaution to prevent unreadable colors or whatever. Do you know more? Who wants which colors and which colors ar banned?

Anyway I am with you all and truly respect your wish to fully leave the EU: to get a clean and complete cut with the EU the TCA must not be ratified.

And by the way, I have read so many Brexiteer posts about the near end of the EU and the Euro currency that I think the UK should really not be bothered about the EU. Brexit is working out fine, so celebrate your success!
With all due respect you do not know if I have read all 1250 pages or not. You haven't read it all and yet you say the UK got a bad deal. How could you know that if you haven't read it? In other words, you are just stating your opinion and not the facts. So, instead of saying the UK got a bad deal, it would be more accurate to say that in your opinion the UK got a bad deal. That's all it is. Your opinion.

For the record I haven't read all those pages either but neither do I have to. I voted to leave the EU because I wanted the UK out of the SM/CU and free of the ECJ. So for me, and millions of others, the deal was good despite my reservations posted earlier. Have been celebrating since Jan 1st.

I don't care whether the EU collapses or not to be honest. I just wish they were not obsessed with trying to make it as difficult a process as they can. Frankly, their behaviour in the last four months has been shameful and embarrassing. But you already know that.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
British thinking they are better, more special, than others. It will take time, but you will learn your place.
I'm not British, I'm from Yorkshire. We are better, and we are well aware of our place.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I'm not British, I'm from Yorkshire. We are better, and we are well aware of our place.
Indeed you do! 👍
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
With all due respect you do not know if I have read all 1250 pages or not. You haven't read it all and yet you say the UK got a bad deal. How could you know that if you haven't read it? In other words, you are just stating your opinion and not the facts. So, instead of saying the UK got a bad deal, it would be more accurate to say that in your opinion the UK got a bad deal. That's all it is. Your opinion.

For the record I haven't read all those pages either but neither do I have to. I voted to leave the EU because I wanted the UK out of the SM/CU and free of the ECJ. So for me, and millions of others, the deal was good despite my reservations posted earlier. Have been celebrating since Jan 1st.

I don't care whether the EU collapses or not to be honest. I just wish they were not obsessed with trying to make it as difficult a process as they can. Frankly, their behaviour in the last four months has been shameful and embarrassing. But you already know that.
Hi again,
thank you for your respect. My impression is that you have read something into my posts which I did not say. At no point did I claim to know wether you have read the TCA or not. At one point I *guessed* that you do not know why those colour decisions were made.

If you think otherwise then kindly point me to that piece in my posts.

When I expressed my thoughts about the TCA (from post #10, "I said "WHAT?". "THAT IS IT?" it thought.) it was of course my opinion. I honestly had expected a deal which was much more in favour of the UK. So I hope that you have no problem with me expressing my opinion here.

You mentioned that you prefer facts. Great, I prefer facts too. The problem is, that facts mean nothing, when people do not accept them as such. This forum serves as a perfect example.

Would you like an example? I do not accept the "fact" from your post that reads "Frankly, their behaviour... embarrassing". You claim that I "know that already".

Could it be that you expressed your oppinion there? Should your claim about the EU behaviour be meant as a factual statement, then please kindly provide some evidence. That would help accepting it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:43 PM

I agree. The fishing industry has not got what it wanted from Brexit and, hopefully, that is something that can be fixed in the fullness of time. But what was agreed over fishing is only part of the whole agreement.

One thing is certain and that is that tweaks will continually have to be made to ensure the future arrangement will run smoothly. Take the NI Protocol for example; if Unionists kick off big time over this then changes will have to be made. Frost is currently in talks about this particular problem. Unfortunately, the EU are determined to demonstrate Brexit will not work. They are being extremely petty over certain aspects like obstructing the flow of goods where forms have been completed using different colour ink. Childish or what?

I don't much like what happened to the fishing industry and neither do I care for a border down the Irish Sea. Having said that, I am happy we are out of the SM/CU and free of any influence of the ECJ.

I responded to Numbers because I was interested to know why he said UK got a bad deal. Maybe he knows something we don't?
Going back to the matter of what belongs to us and what the EU seems to think belongs to them, I find myself becoming increasingly annoyed the more I read about this, especially those ponies mentioned in another post.

N.I. is part of the UK, is it not? How dare those unelected bureaucrats in Brussels attempt to dictate to us what we can and can't do within our own land?
Anyone with any moral strength would tell them to get stuffed. If they are worried about illegal movement of goods over the N.I.-Eire border, then let them police it themselves.

Most countries throughout the world claim territorial rights over their surrounding seas out to 200 miles (or midway between them and an adjacent country). That includes fishing rights.
Countries like Canada, Greenland, Iceland and Norway all maintain their rights in the face of intrusion by others, including the EU. Why don't we?

Unless I'm mistaken, at the last moment before we were about to leave the EU, Boris decided to agree a trade agreement with the EU but appears to have been bullied into accepting it by handing over aspects of our sovereignty.

I have heard suggestions that his hand may have been forced by others including some large business concerns and possibly others who would benefit particularly from a trade deal with the EU.

Obviously, he decided to weigh these influences against the weight of the majority of the electorate who were determined that we would leave with our sovereignty intact.

I am one of those people, so I'm sure that my feelings about the present situation will be quite clear.

Sorry for rattling on!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 10:45 PM

Deleted.

Tried to post a small addition to the above post only to see the site had jammed up, so tried again and, unfortunately, posted the whole thing again. Sorry.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Going back to the matter of what belongs to us and what the EU seems to think belongs to them, I find myself becoming increasingly annoyed the more I read about this, especially those ponies mentioned in another post.

N.I. is part of the UK, is it not? How dare those unelected bureaucrats in Brussels attempt to dictate to us what we can and can't do within our own land?
Anyone with any moral strength would tell them to get stuffed. If they are worried about illegal movement of goods over the N.I.-Eire border, then let them police it themselves.

Most countries throughout the world claim territorial rights over their surrounding seas out to 200 miles (or midway between them and an adjacent country). That includes fishing rights.
Countries like Canada, Greenland, Iceland and Norway all maintain their rights in the face of intrusion by others, including the EU. Why don't we?

Unless I'm mistaken, at the last moment before we were about to leave the EU, Boris decided to agree a trade agreement with the EU but appears to have been bullied into accepting it by handing over aspects of our sovereignty.

I have heard suggestions that his hand may have been forced by others including some large business concerns and possibly others who would benefit particularly from a trade deal with the EU.

Obviously, he decided to weigh these influences against the weight of the majority of the electorate who were determined that we would leave with our sovereignty intact.

I am one of those people, so I'm sure that my feelings about the present situation will be quite clear.

Sorry for rattling on!
I don't disagree with you but I am confident that this will be sorted out in time. A few months back it was not possible to import plants from UK to NI because of the soil in the pots. I think this has now been sorted out. On a more general point, and something you hear very little about, is that the border down the Irish Sea breaks the spirit of the GFA. Odd that the Yanks, the EU and the government of the ROI keep quiet on that one. If it was the other way around and the Catholics were being disenfranchised there would be he'll up. The Unionist community in NI aren't happy because their status under the GFA has been changed without their consent and I cannot see them accepting this forever as they are quiet sensitive about such things. And, as I said previously, if they kick off about this then things will have to change very quickly, instead of very slowly.

Difficult to know if Boris was ever prepared to walk away from negotiations and accept a no deal Brexit. I suppose we will find out at some point in future.

EDIT: You get the car sorted?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 10:17 AM

I don't disagree with you but I am confident that this will be sorted out in time. A few months back it was not possible to import plants from UK to NI because of the soil in the pots. I think this has now been sorted out. On a more general point, and something you hear very little about, is that the border down the Irish Sea breaks the spirit of the GFA. Odd that the Yanks, the EU and the government of the ROI keep quiet on that one. If it was the other way around and the Catholics were being disenfranchised there would be he'll up. The Unionist community in NI aren't happy because their status under the GFA has been changed without their consent and I cannot see them accepting this forever as they are quiet sensitive about such things. And, as I said previously, if they kick off about this then things will have to change very quickly, instead of very slowly.

Difficult to know if Boris was ever prepared to walk away from negotiations and accept a no deal Brexit. I suppose we will find out at some point in future.

EDIT: You get the car sorted?
Fisheries should never have been part of our trade deal with the EU in the first place. No other country has fishing rights as part of a trade deal and neither should we.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK, it is as much part of our country as Kent is. The sheer stupidity of putting a border down the Irish Sea is both reckless and unnecessary. It breaks the GFA and also UK union law and its intent is to allow the EU divide our nation and break it up. So far it's working.

Fisheries and the Northern Ireland Protocol should be torn out of the TCA and we should walk away from the whole thing if need be. Having any kind of agreement with the EU over trade is an open invitation for them to dick us around.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It just touches on the core of the matter. British thinking they are better, more special, than others. It will take time, but you will learn your place.
You say it's "British thinking" but it's in fact the way the world sees Britain.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

27-04-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Hi again,
thank you for your respect. My impression is that you have read something into my posts which I did not say. At no point did I claim to know wether you have read the TCA or not. At one point I *guessed* that you do not know why those colour decisions were made.

If you think otherwise then kindly point me to that piece in my posts.

When I expressed my thoughts about the TCA (from post #10, "I said "WHAT?". "THAT IS IT?" it thought.) it was of course my opinion. I honestly had expected a deal which was much more in favour of the UK. So I hope that you have no problem with me expressing my opinion here.

You mentioned that you prefer facts. Great, I prefer facts too. The problem is, that facts mean nothing, when people do not accept them as such. This forum serves as a perfect example.

Would you like an example? I do not accept the "fact" from your post that reads "Frankly, their behaviour... embarrassing". You claim that I "know that already".

Could it be that you expressed your oppinion there? Should your claim about the EU behaviour be meant as a factual statement, then please kindly provide some evidence. That would help accepting it.
But you said the deal was bad for the UK. So, I therefore assumed you had read the agreement in full in order to form that viewpoint. You have now said you haven't read it all. So my question is why come to that conclusion if you haven't read it? Would you criticise a movie without seeing it? Or a book without reading it. Would you ask a friend for his opinion of a movie he hadn't seen?

My comment about the behaviour of the EU over the last few months wasn't an opinion and today I hear they have taken action and are suing the only international pharmaceutical company who produced a vaccine at cost. All because they messed up with their contract with Astra Zenica. How does that look? Woeful, embarrassing and very stupid that's how. Thank God we are out.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top