Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 05:01 PM

Feeding the container plants.

I've just spent quite a long time filling watering cans & mixing feed for my dozens of container plants.

There's Camelia feed, Rose feed, General feed, potato feed - my heads a spin.

It's a chore I don't like. I use liquid feed and it has to be done every fortnight.

Is there an easier way?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 05:05 PM

Re: Feeding the container plants.

Hi

Yep, a Fish, Blood and Bone fertiliser.

Mixed in with the compost before planting.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I've just spent quite a long time filling watering cans & mixing feed for my dozens of container plants.

There's Camelia feed, Rose feed, General feed, potato feed - my heads a spin.

It's a chore I don't like. I use liquid feed and it has to be done every fortnight.

Is there an easier way?
Apart from camellia, rhododendrons, azaleas and so on then use a general purpose for everything else. So really you only need two different feeds. Instead of the liquid feed try using Miracle Grow granules which dissolve in your watering can. Every two weeks is overkill. Four to six weeks should be adequate. Experiment and see what happens.

As long as plants get their quota of NPK they should thrive.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:00 PM

Thank you both.

Swimmy - I've got some fish/blood/bone fertilizer that I use for my cherry bush.

Takahashi, may I ask you: Do the Miracle grow granules have to be dissolved in the watering can or can they be mixed in with the compost?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

10-05-2021, 06:02 PM

I am hoping members will reveal how they feed their plants & what with?
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thank you both.

Swimmy - I've got some fish/blood/bone fertilizer that I use for my cherry bush.

Takahashi, may I ask you: Do the Miracle grow granules have to be dissolved in the watering can or can they be mixed in with the compost?
You have to dissolve them in water. So, either stir with a wooden spoon or, if your water pressure is good, they will dissolve themselves by the time the can fills up. I use one of those twist nozzle attachments fitted on my hose and it works ideally for this. Good luck.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:12 PM

I just use Miracle Grow slow release type granules, just scattered on the surface and they gradually water in.

I must say though that until your plants are well in flower or fruit they shouldn't need much feeding, particularly if you've planted in potting compost, as that medium contains a fair bit of plant nutrients anyway.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

I forgot to add that granules that you scatter around the base of a plant or mix with compost is fine but using water will mean the nutrients get to the roots that much quicker.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I just use Baby Bio for mine. A few drops of that in some water does the job. I only have houseplants though, and a few odd bits in the mini greenhouse. I used fish blood and bone at the allotment though. Mixed it through with mushroom compost before planting.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:13 PM

Hi Carol when first planting I use Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi and organic Organic fish blood and bone.

In the spring I put some Wilko Growmore Plant Food on shrubs and flowers,
Vegetables I use organic fish blood and bone when first planting then liquid seaweed,
Strawberries/raspberries I use seaweed liquid and Tomato food once the flowers appear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top