Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 06:40 PM

Re: Help for speeding.

Look out for the bloke in a gorilla costume when you’re watching a video and you have to count how many times people bounce basketballs ( I kid you not) ….
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dachs ->
A hospital.
Well I suppose that's a reasonable place to put a speed limit, but I agree it should be well signposted.

As for your comment earlier:
The admin guy in charge said in an interview that that speed camera proved to be "highly profitable."
That is something I can well believe, because we have such things here as well. There are many accusations of things such as bus lanes as well as speed limits which serve no reasonable purpose other than to raise money, usually for the local councils.

Motorists are seen as easy game for making money here.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Yep, sounds simple enough. But there are situations where a junction is staggered, the oncoming traffic is nose-to-tail lorries and busses and you can't see if your exit road is clear until after you have entered the box. It only takes a split second to get a lovely photo of you behind the wheel in the box after the lights have changed. And it can only takes a split second for you to be out of the box again. But they've got you.
There is one of them in Kensington snd Chelsea. You do a right but are unable to see around the corner where the yellow box is until it is too late.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I was just accelerating off a roundabout on the B road out of town, I could have been scammed, I don't know.

I can tell you about some notorious money grabbing situations here in London. They must make £10K's everyday, even from people that are familiar with the road. For example: turning right at box junctions where you can't see if your exit is clear or not; you take your chances or get nowhere causing gridlock.
London? Don't get me started. A few weeks back I was driving through central London. It was very early Saturday morning so nobody around.* Was doing my normal route where I go straight at traffic lights but today there is a Road Ahead Closed sign. So I do a right at the lights, then left, then left again which brings me back to the road I was on.

A few days later I get a letter informing me of a £130 PCN, half if paid quickly, because I had driven down a road which can only be used for electric cars. I later find out, of all the roads in London, this is the only one to have this restriction. Thanks Mr Khan. And no you didn't get my vote.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
London? Don't get me started. A few weeks back I was driving through central London. It was very early Saturday morning so nobody around.* Was doing my normal route where I go straight at traffic lights but today there is a Road Ahead Closed sign. So I do a right at the lights, then left, then left again which brings me back to the road I was on.

A few days later I get a letter informing me of a £130 PCN, half if paid quickly, because I had driven down a road which can only be used for electric cars. I later find out, of all the roads in London, this is the only one to have this restriction. Thanks Mr Khan. And no you didn't get my vote.
For obvious reasons, there is no way I would live in Londonistan.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 09:17 AM

The thing is some people slow down when they see a speed camera looming up in front of them but once they pass it..... whoosh, foot down and they are speeding again!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-05-2021, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
The thing is some people slow down when they see a speed camera looming up in front of them but once they pass it..... whoosh, foot down and they are speeding again!
True, but they now have these sneaky 'average speed' things.
You can speed up for a bit, but then you've got to pull in for a few minutes before you get to the second one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2021, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
True, but they now have these sneaky 'average speed' things.
You can speed up for a bit, but then you've got to pull in for a few minutes before you get to the second one.
We have those average speed cameras on major highways but for some reason they are only applied to trucks (same applies to noise cameras on hills)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-05-2021, 11:16 AM

Slightly off-topic, but I couldn't resist as it made me roll about laughing.

Watching 'Police Interceptors' and have seen a 12 year-old boy and his similarly aged girlfriend write off his mother's car after a chase at high speed finally stopped short by a tree.

It was then reported that the courts gave him a '12-month driving ban'. For heaven's sake, he's only 12!

Does the judge think that he'll be able to legally drive after 12 months... at 13 years old?
They live on a different planet!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Slightly off-topic, but I couldn't resist as it made me roll about laughing.

Watching 'Police Interceptors' and have seen a 12 year-old boy and his similarly aged girlfriend write off his mother's car after a chase at high speed finally stopped short by a tree.

It was then reported that the courts gave him a '12-month driving ban'. For heaven's sake, he's only 12!

Does the judge think that he'll be able to legally drive after 12 months... at 13 years old?
They live on a different planet!
I saw that programme too. I suggest the ban imposed will only start once the miscreant applies for his first license.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top