Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 12:54 AM

Childproof tops, agggg.

Am I the only adult around who is unable to remove childproof tops

I follow the instructions 'squeeze here' or 'push and turn' and the lid stays firmly on while my frustration grows.

The other day I was trying to clean the loo before visitors arrived and had to give up on the loo cleaner, in the end I stuck some shampoo under the rim, at least it smelt nice.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 12:59 AM

Re: Childproof tops, agggg.

You are not alone Meg. I struggle trying to get biscuits out of the package even. It's all a plot, by the new world order, to drive us even madder
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 01:12 AM

They can be a pain yes!

Pasta sauce tops are more of a problem for me sometimes - some of them are like glued stuck!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
They can be a pain yes!

Pasta sauce tops are more of a problem for me sometimes - some of them are like glued stuck!
Tut you're being soooooo blokey
Hold jar in both hands let the end overhanging fingertips and firmly tap the lid edge on the work surface and rotate the jar as you tap then hold it properly and it'll open easily... it works for all glass jars
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 03:14 AM

I've spent many moments cussing out those tops!
And what about the small print on instructions?! Aggghhhh!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 03:42 AM

I loathe those childproof tops ... almost impossible to open. Why don't they offer a choice for adults? As to the pasta sauce and other jars, I use a beer can opener, insert it under the rim of the lid and exert enough pressure to break the vacuum so you can unscrew the lid. I have arthritis in both hands so it's a real hassle. And don't get me started on things that come in that hard plastic clamshell plastic packaging!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
They can be a pain yes!

Try putting a rubber band firmly around the lid of the jar, it will give you a good grip and you can then open your jar easier
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 12:32 PM

This product is supposed to be good for jars

A pharmacy will put pills in non childproof containers if requested

Clamshell plastic? .... Your technique is probably as good as mine. I find graded swearing helps .... by the time you are calling it a *&~!ing %$"@rd you are probably near to reaching your goal
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 01:19 PM

I usually give them to my (growed up) children to open.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2009, 01:23 PM

I'm not trying to be horrible, but why is everything geared to kids nowadays? Have parents forgotten how to take responsibility and ensure that dangerous products are kept away from kids? You know, like people of my age did when our kids were small!!

I too have arthritis in both hands, and find opening things more and more difficult, to the extent that I have actually thrown things away after spending ten minutes fighting with the blasted thing, trying to open it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top