Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:21 PM

Re: Dyson V11 cordless vacuum cleaner

My elderly Panasonic died a few weeks ago and I replaced it with a Shark - which won the decision between Dyson v Shark purely because of the very long guarantee provided by Shark. These were NOT cordless, but the unit is so very light and the cord so long, it's really easy to use. Another great point is being able to take the "wand" out of the body so easily and use that as in the past I've had to use the upright Panasonic for carpets and a Hetty for wooden floors - so very pleased with my new Shark.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Thanks for the info. Do you think it's better than a normal vacuum cleaner? Is it easy to handle - thinking of the weight and bearing in mind that I'll be using it from a wheelchair?
Just be careful the first time you use it, Ullabi. I hear they can do 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 10:52 PM

Yes, we have a V11 and yes it was expensive.

However, it is the best vacuum cleaner we've ever had and far better and more powerful even than our previous corded upright cleaner.

Whenever I have used it, the indicator shows an approximate initial 40 minute reserve when using the powered brush head, although this varies according to whether you're on a thick or thin carpet or a hard floor.
Anyway, put it this way, it has never run out of power when I have been vacuuming the whole house.

I find it very easy to use. The best way to steer it around corners is to tilt the handle to left or right and the brush head turns accordingly and can turn quite sharply if you want it to. Very manoeuvrable and not too heavy.

A distinct improvement over the earlier models is the ease of emptying the dirt container. Much quicker and easier.

I'd also recommend the hard floor brush head which seems to pick up spilt hard cat food far better than the standard brush head which spits it out of the back!

Just one caveat: if you've been vacuuming any damp areas, it's quite possible you'd get some dust, etc., stuck behind the roller. We've had to clean it out before which entails removal of the roller. Fortunately, this is not difficult. Just use a coin to undo the fastener and the roller can be lifted out and replaced quite easily.

Any more specific questions and I'd be happy to help if I can.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just one caveat: if you've been vacuuming any damp areas, it's quite possible you'd get some dust, etc., stuck behind the roller.
I have the two caveat model, and have never had that problem, even though I frequently have to vacuum damp areas.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:40 AM

They do seem very expensive but they are made in Asia so they are very reliable. Some years ago, when we were more affluent, we bought a corded Dyson despite it's extravagant cost. The damned thing got caught on almost everything . It was the model that you towed about by it's hose so we eventually sold it online for $50 and bought a Shark Navigator and it has been so much easier even though it is still plugged in. For those quick cleanups we bought a Zip battery vaccuum which includes in it's design, a hand held version. We bought all of these for about half the price of a Dyson.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
They do seem very expensive but they are made in Asia so they are very reliable. Some years ago, when we were more affluent, we bought a corded Dyson despite it's extravagant cost. The damned thing got caught on almost everything . It was the model that you towed about by it's hose so we eventually sold it online for $50 and bought a Shark Navigator and it has been so much easier even though it is still plugged in. For those quick cleanups we bought a Zip battery vaccuum which includes in it's design, a hand held version. We bought all of these for about half the price of a Dyson.
But they only clean the house half as good Ciderman?....
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But they only clean the house half as good Ciderman?....
No they are much better than the Dyson. I've also got a De Longhi out in the workshop for sucking sawdust out of the benchsaw and cleaning work benches. I've had it about 30 years, it can suck up water if needed. The only drawback is that it is quite bulky but you pull it along on it's wheels and it never gets caught up like the Dyson did.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
No they are much better than the Dyson. I've also got a De Longhi out in the workshop for sucking sawdust out of the benchsaw and cleaning work benches. I've had it about 30 years, it can suck up water if needed. The only drawback is that it is quite bulky but you pull it along on it's wheels and it never gets caught up like the Dyson did.
Wasn't it Dyson who invented the 'Cyclone Method' of vacuum cleaners Ciderman? Mrs Fox bought me a plug in (with cable) 'Dyson City' for cleaning out the car, it's so good I use that in the workshop for doing the same as you. I had to remove a piece of 4" X 2" timber and my swivel chair the other day..... Amazing suction!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand

25-05-2021, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I had to remove a piece of 4" X 2" timber and my swivel chair the other day..... Amazing suction!
It's got to be good if it can suck up a chair!
Yes I think Dyson invented the system then took it to Malaysia to manufacture it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 11:42 AM

Yes, Dyson is an inventor as well as a businessman.
Yes, he invented the cyclone system which can remove dust from the air, presumably by centrifugal force, and thus avoids the need for filter bags.

Needless to say, other manufacturers have all jumped on the bandwagon despite any patents he may have had in place!

I can't compare my Dyson V11 to cheaper brands like Shark, because I've never used them. However, review sites presumably have, so have a look at them for comparison.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top