Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 10:28 PM

Re: ingrowing tonail

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have seen some medical procedures in my time; things that would make most people faint, but only one thing has really made me squirm: removal of a toenail.

They insert half of a pair of forceps under the edge of the toenail, clamp the forceps and begin to turn it like removing a tin of sardines.

They use a local anaesthetic injection, of course, and the patient doesn't feel anything, but by God it made my skin crawl.
It still does only thinking about it.

If you ever have it done, take my advice and make sure you look the other way.
That is what I had done too. I didn't look.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
That is what I had done too. I didn't look.
Hopefully, it didn't hurt then? Just horrible to watch.
I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to do it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2021, 11:36 PM

I wonder if podiatrists dream of the monty python opening sketch...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 11:14 AM

Hopefully, it didn't hurt then? Just horrible to watch.
I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to do it.
No it didn't hurt, though I could hear the scrunching noise as the nails were removed. It didn't hurt after the anesthetic wore off either. Couldn't wear proper shoes for a week or so, can't remember how long now, due to the dressings.
It wasn't the removing of my nails that was the problem, it was that over the years since, they have gradually regrown & not properly. I did have a chiropodist for a few years after they regrew, but he retired & since then I struggle to cut them myself. I hate them, if I have a wish it would be for them to stop growing because they still hurt, it was a waste of time having them removed.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
No it didn't hurt, though I could hear the scrunching noise as the nails were removed. It didn't hurt after the anesthetic wore off either. Couldn't wear proper shoes for a week or so, can't remember how long now, due to the dressings.
It wasn't the removing of my nails that was the problem, it was that over the years since, they have gradually regrown & not properly. I did have a chiropodist for a few years after they regrew, but he retired & since then I struggle to cut them myself. I hate them, if I have a wish it would be for them to stop growing because they still hurt, it was a waste of time having them removed.
Oh dear. That's not nice.
I don't know whether it's acceptable to the NHS, or even possible, but I wonder whether another toenail removal could be done in which the growth areas for a replacement nail could also be removed.
Even if possible, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only available to private patients.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

28-05-2021, 06:45 PM

Oh dear. That's not nice.
I don't know whether it's acceptable to the NHS, or even possible, but I wonder whether another toenail removal could be done in which the growth areas for a replacement nail could also be removed.
Even if possible, it wouldn't surprise me if it's only available to private patients.
I wouldn't want to chance it again anyway.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2021, 07:50 PM

Toenail probs, I've had a few, but no more.

Secret is .... the morning you feel a twinge of trouble, get the scissors out ... not tomorrow, next week or next month.
TannieT
Queensland Australia
TannieT is female 

09-06-2021, 02:17 AM

Curious. How does it happen? Do people cut their toenails too short? Then they grow digging in? Or is it just shape of the toe / toenail tthat causes it?
Ive never had a problem luckily. My sister does and she has those sort of short, fat / fleshy toes. But she always cuts her toenails really short too!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

09-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by TannieT ->
Curious. How does it happen? Do people cut their toenails too short? Then they grow digging in? Or is it just shape of the toe / toenail tthat causes it?
Ive never had a problem luckily. My sister does and she has those sort of short, fat / fleshy toes. But she always cuts her toenails really short too!
In my case it was probably wearing very unsuitable shoes as a teen/early adult.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 05:54 PM

Poor little lamb, I hope it won’t be long before she’s pain free.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top