Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:06 AM

Re: Life has move fast...

Yes same, but hot pavements normally Mups
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
We knew it as HOP Scotch.
aww you're no fun!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 07:02 AM

Beer has Hops, Whisky doesn't.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 07:06 AM

The trick is to slow it down and enjoy the relativity, and don't wear a watch.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
haha..No AnnieS..HOT Scotch was a game...chalked out squares 1 -9 maybe....throw a stone , slate anything small and see what square it landed on..then you hopped and tried to land on the diced numbered square..
It was called Hop Scotch when I were a lad!

We also had snail races, where the first snail across the road was the winner.

It got boring because there were, often, no vehicles in a day!

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It was called Hop Scotch when I were a lad!

We also had snail races, where the first snail across the road was the winner.

It got boring because there were, often, no vehicles in a day!

It was so quiet where I lived that many of us youngsters were able to play 'roller hockey' in the road! We would put down the 'goalposts', rolled up jumpers or jackets, then get on with the game. Roller skating was very popular then. When the rare vehicle drove up we would all stand aside, moving the 'goalposts' if necessary, then continue with our game after the vehicle had passed.

Can you imagine being able to do that today with our overcrowded roads? On the other hand though something like that would definitely slow the traffic (and raise the tempers)!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Yeah, we called it Hop Scotch, because you have to hop onto each square. That is why it's called Hop Scotch. Never heard it called Hot Scotch .

Well I thought both of you were girls in that lovely old photo Dianne, so no, you didn't look like a boy to me
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:06 AM

Our Road was very quiet. had several crossroads and the far top end was
the Church..was..yep nothing's sacred..gone..joined a road to Woodside
Green and the School my late friend Rosi went to.
We lived very near to each other but the school border made us go to different Junior Schools. So I had to go to Oval Junior near East Croydon Station....Mr. Poole was our Math Teacher and I was in the A stream but never shone in anything,liked Maths but loved Sports and Bad behaviour.

Don't see if I went back to those days I would have been any different.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2+...2!4d-0.0843113

No. 2 ..because it is the first house of the Road the other spaces are all back or sides of Gardens. Gary Glitter lived opposite on the other side of the Road, a house on the next cross roads..Paul Gadd his birth name and musically Paul Raven. I had never spoken to him and he just played music in his front room..
There were a few shops scattered about the roads
Post Office several grocer stores and a parade of shops within walking distance. sweet shop grocer shop and maybe a hairdresser's. few others that I can't recall. Large Community Hall that held a variety of events, including dancing that my parents attended regularly., with us
Laurier Road Laundry on the corner of Ros's Road.
Near was Davidson Infants and Senior Schools. I went to both.

My Mother got a job at the laundry and then came the schools holidays..
...she carried on working and we had to stay at home alone..far too young I can say that now.

One day my version,as my Sister's is slightly different...
We were running around the outside and had the front door and the back door open playing, shut you out....
You just race to one of the doors and slam it...
Well Jacqueline got slammed out of the front door, but her arm went through the glass..Old thick and patterned.

I ran around indoors looking for something to stop the bleeding...Mother arrived and an ambulance was called buy whoever got to the phone box first, was around the next road,Rymer Road...........
....She was taken to Hospital where she had 35 ish stitches...as if one or two mattered back then.
Husband moved in with us for a while before we got |Married. left that house in 1967 and was born in the house whilst my Sister was Born I think in the nomore St. Mary's Maternity Hospital in St.Jame's Road, Croydon.

....By July 1918, The County Borough of Croydon had purchased the house at 49 St James Road, West Croydon. It was converted and specially adapted for use as a maternity hospital providing 17 beds, each with its own cot. Although managed by the Croydon Mothers' and Infants Welfare Association it received a yearly subsidy of £1800 from the Council, in return for which, 15 beds were reserved for their referrals. Larger premises became possible when, in 1930 an empty plot at the corner of St James Road and Lodge Road was purchased and a 3-storey purpose-built block became the new home for the Hostel, now renamed St Mary's Maternity Hospital. The original building became the administration offices. The Council increased its subsidy to £4500 claiming 30 of the now 32 beds for its clinic referrals.
which fitted side by side. Although many expectant mothers signed up to be evacuated, most stayed or returned for their confinement. The expected rise in premature births because of the air raids was never realised. A bomb exploding in nearby Elmwood Road blew out the windows but none of the mothers, babies or staff were hurt. In April 1943 the Monteagle Nursing Home opened. Built as an annexe to St Mary’s Nursing Home and Mayday Maternity Department, it supported both by taking nursing mothers on their seventh day, until it was forced to close in 1945 because of bomb damage. In 1948 the hospital joined the NHS at which point the involvement of the Croydon Mothers' and Infants Welfare Association ceased. Under the auspices of the NHS, the hospital continued to offer maternity care. In 1959 it had 33 beds in small wards with 5 beds in each. In 1964 it had 30 beds and 609 deliveries in that year. A major reorganisation of the NHS in 1974 placed the hospital under the administration of the Croydon District Health Authority. It closed in 1985
My Sister's first child was born there also...in 1968..
UkGameCoder
UK
UkGameCoder is male 

24-07-2021, 11:21 AM

We were brought up in Blackpool. One of my gang's favourite Saturday morning pastimes was going down to Blackpool North Railway station to welcome new holiday-makers. We were very socially conscious and believed in doing our bit for society. Therefore we concentrated on old couples.

We would offer to carry their luggage for them. They were always very grateful, and were very happy that they had come to visit a town with such lovely children.

When we got outside the entrance to the train station, we would run off with their luggage. We would wait until we got so far ahead, then open their cases and throw all of their belongings all over the place in the main road in the town centre!

Then we would run away laughing, each of us wearing a pair of the old girl's knickers on our heads!

The last time I did this was just last Saturday actually!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 11:30 AM

Time?

Time flies like an arrow.

(Fruit flies like a squashed banana - discuss)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top