Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Re: Are our intellectuals revolting??

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
What planet have you been living on DM?! Agree with reg. How is this anything new? Some people here must have lived through the sexual revolution, strikes, greenpeace, bra burning, woodstock, rolling stones, Glam rock, punk, race riots, poll tax riots, IRA, anti war protests. You can't all have been sitting in a greenhouse or eating peas?! I find it funny how now all these causes and revolutions are called "snowflake". They were seen as dangerous and subversive at the time. Honestly, the way some of you go on you'd think people had lived in peace and harmony until 2020!

You are dead right Annie, up untill 4 yrs ago l was living in that
oasis of peace and tranquility known as South Africa and so
have been protected from all the turmoil you describe so well
as uk was systematically eroded and degraded by an intellectual
Iiberal establishment led assault on the foundations of what used
to be the uk?
So yes, l was living elswhere but still on this planet and l am glad l was
not here to witness to all you describe!!

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
My sentiments exactly, that would afford time for unrestricted creative thinking time, in a safe environment.
Something like bricklaying then Spitty??

Dman! 😁😁😁
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Here is a list of speakers banned or "discouraged" from speaking at British universities.

It is a hell of a long list. It includes some surprises.
It does seem that only one viewpoint is acceptable.

https://www.afaf.org.uk/the-banned-list/
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 02:18 PM

Funny how Universities have changed over the last fifty years from places where people went to learn how to learn and then educated by guided research appropriate to the subject they were reading to what they have become which is where people are simply taught.

Sorta like glorified technical colleges and art schools.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-06-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Here is a list of speakers banned or "discouraged" from speaking at British universities.

Thanks for bringing that up Tregonsee, it further confirms my
belief that the inteligentsia at the top are manipulating young
impressionable minds for their own ends?

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-06-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Funny how Universities have changed over the last fifty years from places where people went to learn how to learn and then educated by guided research appropriate to the subject they were reading to what they have become which is where people are simply taught.

Well they came from technical colleges Todgy and imo they should
have stayed as technical colleges!
But the thinking at the time was uk had to get away from
indusrial devlopment??
As Phil Collins said, just another brick out the wall??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->

I thought the whole idea was to listen to both/all sides of an argument then make up your own mind.

I studied at the Wolverhampton Polytechnic which is now The University of Wolverhampton. I agree with you AT, they should go back to what they did best.

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
indusrial devlopment??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
T'weren't Phil Collins, Donks. It was Richard Wright, Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
indusrial devlopment??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
I think it was Blair believing that the number of kids going up to university was vitally important irrespective of the kids had the ability the outcome of which was tech colleges being redesignated, dumbing down of degree courses, introduction of Micky Mouse degrees, and the kids having to pay.

It's so much different from "my day". For one thing in most cases a good A level in a language was mandatory if for no other than it demonstrated an ability to work on a non-course related subject. I chose Latin and Greek. Greek I scratched through but Latin was OK.

Today there more than a few "uni's" (God how I have that abbreviation!) where there NO entry requirements other than access to the fees.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-06-2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I thought the whole idea was to listen to both/all sides of an argument then make up your own mind.

I studied at the Wolverhampton Polytechnic which is now The University of Wolverhampton. I agree with you AT, they should go back to what they did best.

T'weren't Phil Collins, Donks. It was Richard Wright, Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall.
Ooerr, so it were Percy!!
Whats going on??
Cant find that petition thread from yesterday either??
Whats the world coming to??

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

10-06-2020, 03:27 PM

I think it was Blair believing that the number of kids going up to university was vitally important irrespective of the kids had the ability the outcome of which was tech colleges being redesignated, dumbing down of degree courses, introduction of Micky Mouse degrees, and the kids having to pay.

It's so much different from "my day". For one thing in most cases a good A level in a language was mandatory if for no other than it demonstrated an ability to work on a non-course related subject. I chose Latin and Greek. Greek I scratched through but Latin was OK.

Today there more than a few "uni's" (God how I have that abbreviation!) where there NO entry requirements other than access to the fees.
So from your last paragraph Todgy NOTHING has changed?
Must have been a very clever chap that Blair, is he still alive?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top