Join for free
Page 9 of 21 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 02:08 PM

Re: Proud to be English

Originally Posted by sparky ->
And this is the problem, I lost my job when all this kicked off and am not entitled to any benefits, my wife works full time and earns about £15k a year, we pay full everything, rent, council tax etc yet there are lazy so and so's who are on benefits and better off than us. As for this thing they are suggesting now, doing away with all the benefits and giving everyone who doesn't work £2.5K a month, well it's sheer madness. Apparently it works in Sweden well maybe it does, but probably the Swedes have less people out of work and the ones who are are not workshy like most of ours are. I know there are people who genuinely cannot work for health reasons, I was one for a short while, but we seem to be breeding a group of people who actually see living on benefits as a career choice rather than a safety net!
Good God! I had no idea about that. How absolutely stupid. Who in their right mind would encourage even more dossers, many of whom also supplement their hand-outs with drug dealing?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yes, I investigated this but because mine expired such a long time ago I would have to apply as a first time applicant which appears to be quite a palaver.

Frankly I couldn't be bothered, my Australian Passport still has 8 years to run and if Britain is not part of the EU there is absolutely no advantage in holding a UK passport. (However the UK Passport is a few dollars cheaper)
Did wonder after the Windrush scandal..

My late wife born in Ireland could always get an Irish passport as well as a UK one as also can my daughter.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 03:42 PM

I'm glad I was born in Britain, but can't feel proud about it.
I had no say in it, an accident of birth,so no achievement on my part.
I would say British rather than English, due to connotations from certain disreputable groups.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
I'm glad I was born in Britain, but can't feel proud about it.
I had no say in it, an accident of birth,so no achievement on my part.
I would say British rather than English, due to connotations from certain disreputable groups.
Oh, you must mean the SNP!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, you must mean the SNP!
Yes of course the well known and popular British party the

SNP..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Never been to Wales but had a fantastic welcome in Scotland and Northern Ireland which is why I posted mainly about the UK.
British TOO vague don't like the term
my ancestory can be traced back to Wales and Cornwall with big gaps in the family history but in Cornwall back to 1000 ad where the family crest was found on a grave attatched to an old priory.
The Wales connection dates back to the 7 little kingdoms in North Wales hundreds of years ago. The family crest has 2 rampart lions supporting the crest and only royalty is allowed

I have celtic blood runing through my veins and fiercely proud of now being ENGLISH
Very proud to be English! although I am what one would call a mongrel, or a nicer word - cross-breed! Irish parents, born in Shropshire which once belonged to Powys, Wales in the 10th century (just over the border a couple of miles away) But Shropshire is now as English as they come.
I still get a burst of pride when driving back over the border and seeing that huge poster ''Welcome to England''.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:45 PM

You don't have any say in where you are born, so it does not mean you should automatically feel proud. I was born in London but ended up here in NZ at my father's choice as he was on loan to the RNZN for 3 years. At the end of the 3 years it coincided with a commission period so he had the option of signing on for a further period and returning to Britain or opting out and staying. After completing secondary school and a couple of years working in the tourist industry I thought I would go and see if he had made the right decision. I worked in Europe, mostly in England for 3 years in photography (for B.Bennett & Sons Ltd (no relation! ). Later I worked in Brighton and Torquay. It's hard to generalise about a population , there will be good and bad everywhere, but I was disappointed by many of the contacts I had . Shop assistants that would just stare at you until you spoke. Not often a smile or a greeting. Hotel managers who diverted half of the 10% service charge to their pockets. I have been back twice in 2008 and 2009 and was spoiled by my wife's relations but that same lack of empathy seemed to emanate from shop assistants who seemed unable to smile.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

12-07-2020, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
You don't have any say in where you are born, so it does not mean you should automatically feel proud. I was born in London but ended up here in NZ at my father's choice as he was on loan to the RNZN for 3 years. At the end of the 3 years it coincided with a commission period so he had the option of signing on for a further period and returning to Britain or opting out and staying. After completing secondary school and a couple of years working in the tourist industry I thought I would go and see if he had made the right decision. I worked in Europe, mostly in England for 3 years in photography (for B.Bennett & Sons Ltd (no relation! ). Later I worked in Brighton and Torquay. It's hard to generalise about a population , there will be good and bad everywhere, but I was disappointed by many of the contacts I had . Shop assistants that would just stare at you until you spoke. Not often a smile or a greeting. Hotel managers who diverted half of the 10% service charge to their pockets. I have been back twice in 2008 and 2009 and was spoiled by my wife's relations but that same lack of empathy seemed to emanate from shop assistants who seemed unable to smile.
I'd say you made a wise decision, Ciderman.
If I were younger, I think NZ would be my choice of emigration, given the chance.
I understand it's a beautiful country, going by what I've seen on Lord of the Rings.
And they drive on the left, too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Hi

No

I used to be, but not now.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

20-07-2020, 10:39 AM

I wouldn't wish to live anywhere else but the UK, but pride doesn't come into it. Britain has a lot of be ashamed about, especially the empire and the evil way in which it was obtained.

Page 9 of 21 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top