Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 08:54 AM

Re: The Media Must Take The Blame.

Originally Posted by Judd ->
He's absolute scum (better shove an allegedly in there ) who berates and shouts down anyone (especially the right-leaning) who doesn't agree with him. Then, when Conservative MPs refuse to go on his show knowing that they can't be heard, he rages and fumes even more.

I think he's a total arsehole (I'm allowed to say I think instead of `is`).
Sometimes he says something sensible .
The biggest AH imo is James O Brien of LBC .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 09:06 AM

Well I got earache after reading that first post.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 09:09 AM

If you ever get round to reading the classic little book "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darren Hough, you'll be able to see how stats can be manipulated easily enough by simply changing the sample.

Thus "8 out of 10 owners said there cats preferred Whiskas" is entirely true if one expediently ignores asking the follow up question "which 10 owners". If one were to ask sets of legitimately selected random samples of 10 owners the question, then by the laws of averages, one of these sets might actually hit the 80% mark, even though every other set only ever hits eg 30%. It is entirely accurate to then state that your 80% was from a randomly selected sample.

This is, one suspects, what happens when the media cites "the public mood", and people fall for it even though it is the most basic GCSE question asked about bias samples.

Thus the "public mood" could equally be to endorse the behaviour of those who crowded beaches, or are absolutely aghast at it.

When an MP or journalist uses the words "the reality is" or "on average", then there is no doubt whatsoever that figures have been manipulated or that a convenient sample has been chosen.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
If you ever get round to reading the classic little book "How to Lie with Statistics" by Darren Hough, you'll be able to see how stats can be manipulated easily enough by simply changing the sample.

Thus "8 out of 10 owners said there cats preferred Whiskas" is entirely true if one expediently ignores asking the follow up question "which 10 owners". If one were to ask sets of legitimately selected random samples of 10 owners the question, then by the laws of averages, one of these sets might actually hit the 80% mark, even though every other set only ever hits eg 30%. It is entirely accurate to then state that your 80% was from a randomly selected sample.

This is, one suspects, what happens when the media cites "the public mood", and people fall for it even though it is the most basic GCSE question asked about bias samples.

Thus the "public mood" could equally be to endorse the behaviour of those who crowded beaches, or are absolutely aghast at it.

When an MP or journalist uses the words "the reality is" or "on average", then there is no doubt whatsoever that figures have been manipulated or that a convenient sample has been chosen.
Same with the daily Covid figures too Dex, they can control the reaction of the masses by carefully displaying the figures to effect a certain response. I'm not saying that they have been faked, it's just the way the stats have been presented. The media does this by omitting certain facts to obtain the result (or directing hate or love) to prompt a desired effect.
A favourite of mine is when some low life gets murdered, they always introduce you to his family and friends who will obviously speak well of him. They want you to get to 'know' the victim. Some random bloke won't get a moments thought once the news has gone off, but if you get to know the person you are more likely to feel for the victim, and hate for the aggressor...As happened with George Floyd.

The media couldn't be more controlling if they stuck a hand up your back and pulled your strings, and most of the time we don't even realise how much we are being manipulated. And don't get me started on adverts.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 11:21 AM

Hi

Piers Morgan is someone I avoid.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same with the daily Covid figures too Dex, they can control the reaction of the masses by carefully displaying the figures to effect a certain response. I'm not saying that they have been faked, it's just the way the stats have been presented. The media does this by omitting certain facts to obtain the result (or directing hate or love) to prompt a desired effect.
Given that the powers that be will have known that there figures will have only had been approximations, presenting charts and data with an implied degree of accuracy is questionable, to say the least.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A favourite of mine is when some low life gets murdered, they always introduce you to his family and friends who will obviously speak well of him. They want you to get to 'know' the victim. Some random bloke won't get a moments thought once the news has gone off, but if you get to know the person you are more likely to feel for the victim, and hate for the aggressor...As happened with George Floyd.
In the case of Mr Floyd, I can't recall any interviews with the victims of his criminal activities citing what a great bloke he was.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Given that the powers that be will have known that there figures will have only had been approximations, presenting charts and data with an implied degree of accuracy is questionable, to say the least.

In the case of Mr Floyd, I can't recall any interviews with the victims of his criminal activities citing what a great bloke he was.

It was implied by the media that he had done nothing wrong to justify his harsh treatment, even though the man was off his head with drugs.
I'm not saying Mr Floyd deserved to die, but his death was dramatised by the media and the resulting furor was not perhaps due to his terrible end, but the media's reporting of the incident. In a civilised society it is the courts who decide if the law was broken and appropriate action taken, not the media.
As is so often these days, a person has been tried and convicted before it ever reaches a court, just on the basis of some journalists account.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Great post Shroppy, I rate that Post of the Year!

I agree, brilliant!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 06:44 PM

Well, I hope Solasch reads that!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Well, I hope Solasch reads that!
That's why solasch always says, don't believe what someone says at face value, always go to the source, check the facts! British newspapers could very much improve if they checked before reporting. But to my astonishment british newspaper tell the news in the way it's readers want to hear it. Being true is an optional extra.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top