Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 01:50 PM

New TV.

Hi

I took advantage of Black Friday and got a 50inch, 4K Ultra HD Android TV.

It has freeview built in and Chromecast.

I have had to have an external roof aerial put in with outlets to the lounge and two bedrooms.

The New TV is wall mounted and the one I have moved to the main bedroom is also wall mounted.

This lot cost me £240 plus £30 for the mounts.

A very reasonable price and he was very clean and tidy.

The setting up of the new TV was a nightmare, it kept freezing.

I had arranged a return for it.

It was a two day thing, Wednesday and yesterday.

Yesterday he had found a work around the freezing, so basic TV available, no need to repackage and return.

I had to buy some new right angle HDMI Leads to get the TV's flush to the walls.

Another £16.

Finally finished today, linked to my Google Account and can control the ground floor lights and cams with my TV.

I am a happy womble.

Next job, connect Alexa Show upstairs to ring and security cameras.

I also need to connect the upstairs TV in the main bedroom to Amazon Peime.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 05:08 PM

Re: New TV.

It's good to see somebody try to embrace technology.

One thing though?
You might like to reconsider calling yourself a "womble" because I suspect that it doesn't commonly nowadays mean what you might think it does.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=womble
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by zaphod ->
it's good to see somebody try to embrace technology.

One thing though?
You might like to reconsider calling yourself a "womble" because i suspect that it doesn't commonly nowadays mean what you might think it does.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=womble
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 06:16 PM

When it's all set up and settled down, I'd be interested to know what an ordinary SD (standard definition) transmission looks like on it. Is it blurry, facial features a bit 'plastic' or lacking in definition?

I think about getting a 4K TV but the amount of upscaling that has to be done to get a standard definition picture to fill a 4K screen worries me a bit. I wonder if I'd be better off sticking to to the HD TV I have already because most of of what I watch is Freeview from a roof aerial. Much of that is only standard definition. Not so much upscaling on my HD TV as is needed on a 4K TV.

Has anyone else got a 4K TV? If so, what does an SD picture look like on it as regards definition?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
When it's all set up and settled down, I'd be interested to know what an ordinary SD (standard definition) transmission looks like on it. Is it blurry, facial features a bit 'plastic' or lacking in definition?

I think about getting a 4K TV but the amount of upscaling that has to be done to get a standard definition picture to fill a 4K screen worries me a bit. I wonder if I'd be better off sticking to to the HD TV I have already because most of of what I watch is Freeview from a roof aerial. Much of that is only standard definition. Not so much upscaling on my HD TV as is needed on a 4K TV.

Has anyone else got a 4K TV? If so, what does an SD picture look like on it as regards definition?
Hi

Cannot speak for others,

For me it is a fantastic improvement.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 06:53 PM

Thanks and I'm glad you are pleased with it What make is it?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->

Mart, I've had a 4K OLED for some years now and on ours with most viewing SD is fine; BBC in HD for example is barely distinguishable from BBC1 in SD.
But how fine generally depends upon 2 things:

1 Not all TV's are equal ( as we all know) and some 4K tv's display SD content better than others.
It doesn't seem dependent upon price either BTW.
If it's not feasible to see and judge for yourself (and it can be difficult nowadays) might I suggest a trip to AVForums TV section to have a nosey and seek advice?
https://www.avforums.com/

2 Not all broadcast SD is of an equal quality.

Just as bandwidth and resolution can cause problems with internet-based TV, so age; signal strength and interference affects even digital OTA TV.
A programme first broadcast in the 1980's is not going to look better on a modern, huge TV no matter how the picture reaches the screen unless it has been remastered.

And that's the other part of the SD quality problem; most SD content was not made for TV's the size that are nowadays common.
https://www.boxcast.com/blog/sd-vs-h...ions-explained
It isn't so long ago that 28" or even 32" TV's were regarded as huge; try finding one so small nowadays if you can.
So (as in #1) the TV has to perform some magic to make an SD picture watchable but they aren't all good at it.

I'm sorry if that's not greatly helpful, but basically there is nothing bad about the picture a 4K TV will give you when watching SD broadcasts provided you buy the right TV for you - which is pretty much as it has always been.

If you're near a Richer Sounds I can heartily recommend them as a place to have a look and get advice, provided they are open of course because no matter what anybody says we are not looking through your eyes.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

05-12-2020, 09:55 PM

Thanks Zaphod. I do read AV Forums and have a Richer Sounds shop about 10 miles away. The trouble has been the restrictions lately. Even though I could go there, I perhaps ought to still be careful. Maybe I'll wait because the vaccine is hopefully not so far away now.

I've read quite a lot about upscaling but reading isn't the same as seeing. Also, as usual, the more you read the more of a dilemma it causes.

From what I read, Sony uses the best processing and I'm temped to order one and hope I'll be impressed with it. It's quite a gamble without actually seeing what I think of it though.

I have a few full HD TVs at present. The main one is a Panasonic. Fairly old now but still working well. I just wonder if I'd notice a great difference between HD and 4K and as said, a bit worried that SD transmissions could look even worse because of the extra upscaling needed.

Nice to see you are happy shopper Swimfeeder, after taking the plunge and just going for it.

Edit: typo
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:28 PM

I bought a 75" 4K Android Sony last year and am very pleased with it too.

It makes me laugh that it takes as long as the old valve TVs to set itself up though my kids have no idea what I am talking about.

As for SD I don't think any is broadcast any more, At least I haven't seen any.

I thought the set up was easy, I paired it with my Yamaha amp and speakers so it has access to my server (downloaded series' and films) as well as Netflix and Disney+ AND it is loud enough for me (and my neighbours) to hear.

Great buy, lot of entertainment when the pandemic first struck but whether i will keep the streaming services when we get to Covid Normal I don't know.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I bought a 75" 4K Android Sony last year and am very pleased with it too.

It makes me laugh that it takes as long as the old valve TVs to set itself up though my kids have no idea what I am talking about.

As for SD I don't think any is broadcast any more, At least I haven't seen any.

I thought the set up was easy, I paired it with my Yamaha amp and speakers so it has access to my server (downloaded series' and films) as well as Netflix and Disney+ AND it is loud enough for me (and my neighbours) to hear.

Great buy, lot of entertainment when the pandemic first struck but whether i will keep the streaming services when we get to Covid Normal I don't know.
Not so much a warm-up time as a boot-up time these days?

Is that an OLED or LED TV?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top