Join for free
Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Re: Barnier Issues Ultimatum!

Boris is doing okay in the eyes of myself and of many others in these the most difficult times in modern history.

This suggests that to be true; a statement from von der Leyen tonight following a long phone call with Boris.
" .... significant differences remain on three critical issues: level playing field, governance and fisheries. Both sides underlined that no agreement is feasible if these issues are not resolved."

Despte the differences the chief* negotiators will meet again tomorrow in Brussels and a further phone call between von der Leyen & Boris will take place on Monday evening.

* Chief negotiators - does that mean just Frosty & Barnier in order to try and break the impasse?
If so how does von der Leyen expect anything if neither side will move?

It looks more and more like the EU being backed into a corner because of the time constraint IMHO and is purely because the EU don't want to be the ones to call an end to proceedings.

Meanwhile Boris & Frost can carry on until the very last moment and do not have to do a thing; the whole world understands how unreasonable it is of the EU to demand that sovereignty be ceded because not one of the major nations have ever done so outside times of war.

It looks as if these coming few days will be the most interesting of the whole saga so far.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-de...hnson-12152377
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi
* Text removed for ecological reasons *
Are you going to answer Percy Vere's post so that you don't look quite so silly?

Just to remind you, it was:
Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
OK then, money where your mouth (well, typing finger) is time. Who do YOU think would do a better job?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Boris is doing okay in the eyes of myself and of many others in these the most difficult times in modern history.

This suggests that to be true; a statement from von der Leyen tonight following a long phone call with Boris.
" .... significant differences remain on three critical issues: level playing field, governance and fisheries. Both sides underlined that no agreement is feasible if these issues are not resolved."

Despte the differences the chief* negotiators will meet again tomorrow in Brussels and a further phone call between von der Leyen & Boris will take place on Monday evening.

* Chief negotiators - does that mean just Frosty & Barnier in order to try and break the impasse?
If so how does von der Leyen expect anything if neither side will move?

It looks more and more like the EU being backed into a corner because of the time constraint IMHO and is purely because the EU don't want to be the ones to call an end to proceedings.

Meanwhile Boris & Frost can carry on until the very last moment and do not have to do a thing; the whole world understands how unreasonable it is of the EU to demand that sovereignty be ceded because not one of the major nations have ever done so outside times of war.

It looks as if these coming few days will be the most interesting of the whole saga so far.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-de...hnson-12152377
I must admit that l only voted for Boris, as he was the only one left
for me to vote for that supported brexit after Nigel removed 50% of
his candidates just before the election !!
So l didnt have much faith he would follow through with his election
promises ? But much to my surprise he has honoured his promises
so far on every one of them!! With him and Frosty we seem to have
struck lucky as they seem to make a strong team as Barmier is
finding out? After Theresa May, Barmy must have had a severe
shock at the change of tactics?
I now believe Boris will complete the exit, my doubts are now with
remainers still within the tory party, but time for them to act now is
very short , although our patriotic (not) media and establishment
are making herculean efforts to sow doubts and criticisms towards
events as they happen !!
Bring it on Boris !!
Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 09:37 PM

I agree that Boris, contrary to many of his critics, has so far done everything we could wish for.

I read comments, even in the Express, stating that Boris is letting us down and failing to do what he promised to do.
I wonder why, if these people are in favour of Brexit, what exactly they are complaining about.
Perhaps they are just worried and feel the need to threaten Boris not to give in. I can appreciate that, but so far he hasn't.
I believe he is just biding his time and 'playing the white man' until the end of December so that the EU dictators cannot claim that he hasn't made an effort, or that he has just walked away prematurely.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Sounds like they brought in the big guns:

United Kingdom and European Union negotiators have paused trade talks to call in their leaders to try to narrow gaps less than four weeks before Britain completes its Brexit journey out of the bloc.

After failing to agree the basis for a deal, the UK's David Frost and the EU's Michel Barnier said they would brief leaders to seek new impetus for the talks, which stumbled on Thursday when London accused Brussels of making new demands.

On Saturday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen will speak to try to break the impasse, which sources said was centred on French demands over fishing rights in UK waters.

It is the latest twist in what has been months of negotiations that have barely moved on the three thorniest issues — fisheries, ensuring fair competition guarantees and ways to solve future disputes.

But so far neither side has walked away from the talks, suggesting that both still hold out some hope of securing a deal governing almost $US1 trillion ($1.35 trillion) of annual trade to avoid a disorderly end to more than 40 years of UK membership of the European club.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...talks/12953890
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2020, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sounds like they brought in the big guns:

United Kingdom and European Union negotiators have paused trade talks to call in their leaders to try to narrow gaps less than four weeks before Britain completes its Brexit journey out of the bloc.

After failing to agree the basis for a deal, the UK's David Frost and the EU's Michel Barnier said they would brief leaders to seek new impetus for the talks, which stumbled on Thursday when London accused Brussels of making new demands.

On Saturday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen will speak to try to break the impasse, which sources said was centred on French demands over fishing rights in UK waters.

It is the latest twist in what has been months of negotiations that have barely moved on the three thorniest issues — fisheries, ensuring fair competition guarantees and ways to solve future disputes.

But so far neither side has walked away from the talks, suggesting that both still hold out some hope of securing a deal governing almost $US1 trillion ($1.35 trillion) of annual trade to avoid a disorderly end to more than 40 years of UK membership of the European club.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...talks/12953890

The big guns as you call the Brucy have allready met or rather
phoned each other a couple of times previously so nothing new
there !!
I think Barmier will drag it out till january as he still believes Boris
will chuck in the towel due to pressure from the remainers between
now and chriistmas??
As you say, we shall see soon??

Donkey man! 👍👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK

06-12-2020, 03:20 PM

The phone call was (as expected) a damp squib.

The two sides will continue to try and forge a deal even though both Boris and von der Leyen admit that neither side will change their stance.

The French (supported by the Spanish & the Italians) have forced Barnier to introduce new requirements at this, the most critical time of all - the final days before no deal becomes inevitable if no agreement is reached.

It strikes me as being extremely shortsighted of them when so much of the Spanish economy relies upon the UK for agriculture/food/drink and the holiday industry; France again for agriculture/food/drink and the holiday industry plus the fact that France is already increasingly turning anti-Macron as well as anti-EU; and as for Italy .......... it is already verging upon bankruptcy.
They surely are just hoping that the UK will cave in to their demands; well, that looks like backfiring on them.

“We know that the days of full access to fish quotas in British territorial waters are over,” Beaune told the Sunday weekly. “But we must have a large and lasting access.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu...-idUKKBN28F0VU
To British waters?
Do one, to be blunt.
Go forth and multiply.

As Environment Secretary George Eustice has told Sky News:
"We would be the only country in the entire world that could agree that, so such a suggestion really is quite ludicrous and not consistent with international law."
https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-ta...ssues-12152866

When pressed by Sky News if he thought that the negotiations so far had been a "charade" Eustice said:
' "we will find out in the next day or two whether it is an exercise the EU's engaged in" and "whether this is a choreographed thing on their part". '

The Times is suggesting this:
"If there is no progress, Johnson’s team is discussing plans for him to announce no-deal in a televised address to the nation, placing the blame squarely on EU and particularly French intransigence."
Is that how the EU are going to try and escape being wholly blamed for whatever problems no deal would cause?
Blame the French?

The Times continues with this:
' Thirteen cabinet ministers — including eight who opposed Brexit — confirmed that they would support no-deal if Johnson concludes that is necessary. “Just get it done,” said one who voted remain. “The PM should do what is best. He has total, 100% rock-solid cabinet support.” '

There is though also talk of the EU being prepared to soften their stance enough to enable a deal to become possible.
Will it be enough?
These coming few days will see, if current reports regarding time are correct.
Who still thinks that the EU hold all the cards?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...exit-fccwzj6mt

(The Times has a free trial available for those who cannot already have access but who want to read what is available.)
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 05:07 PM

Lord Frost and co are in Brussels today for more talks tomorrow. Boris and UVDL will be talking to access any progress again tomorrow night. The final, final, final deadline must be Wednesday evening because there's a EU Council meeting on Thursday this week.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

06-12-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Lord Frost and co are in Brussels today for more talks tomorrow. Boris and UVDL will be talking to access any progress again tomorrow night. The final, final, final deadline must be Wednesday evening because there's a EU Council meeting on Thursday this week.
As I understand it Percy talks will recommence today.

"Britain’s chief Brexit negotiator arrives in Brussels
Britain's chief Brexit negotiator David Frost has arrived in Brussels and will meet his EU counterpart later today to work on a trade deal."
Said the Independent two hours ago.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1766908.html

As I've said before, it can't keep going on and on and on without resolution.
It will be interesting to see if Boris does indeed make a televised statement within these next few days as suggested in The Times as I posted earlier.
Whether the phone call tomorrow between von der Leyen and Boris will see that come to fruition or whether it will take longer, I think it unlikely that it will be more than days now before we have a firm decision.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 05:20 PM

OK, thanks Zaphod. I thought they started at sparrow's fart tomorrow.

Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top