Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 11:12 PM

Ping

Back in the 1970s, a very novel machine suddenly appeared in motorway services. It had a screen and two knobs by which two short white lines could be made to travel vertically up and down the left and right edges of the screen. They were virtual bats that, provided the hands on the knobs were quick enough , determined the course of a white blob that went back and forth across the screen. It was a simulation of tennis, and the first computer game accessible to the public. It could easily have been called Ping, had they not called it Pong.

Not very long after, the game became available to buy, in the form of a little box that could be connected to a TV set. What a thrill it was to be able to manipulate the image on your TV screen. Up until then, television sets could only offer passive entertainment, but now we could be in control. What a feeling of power that was. Of course, you needed to have children in order to justify buying the game, but they rarely got anywhere near it.

Things moved on quite quickly during the subsequent years, and computer games became very sophisticated. I couldn’t keep away from Tomb Raider for a few months, although the driving force behind that was not so much a need to get to the next level, but rather a determination to get Lara Croft to do something she was not designed to do. I wouldn’t have admitted it to anyone, though; computer games were for kids.

How things have changed. I work with a man in his sixties, who quite unabashedly boasts about how many rampaging aliens he terminated on the previous night. There is a thriving market in adult computer games, and grownups are no longer ashamed or self-conscious about playing them. Of course, they don’t refer to it as playing games, they are “gaming”. A designation the industry came up with to turn childish play into a legitimate adult activity. A rose by any other name.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 11:24 PM

Re: Ping

I've still got my video game called pong (I had to word that quite carefully lol).
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 12:11 AM

I can still hear that 'blip' noise when the dot hit the bat

I used to be addicted to Escape the Room games.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 01:16 AM

My grandkids are getting some sort of virtual reality device for Christmas. I can't wait till they go back to school after the Xmas holiday.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Came out about the same time as the Betamax, the time was right for folks lives to get Pongy as is now, probably.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:57 AM

I had the Pong game. Played it with the children.

I play games on the computer now but not the 'action' types. I've got a jigsaw program called 'BrainsBreaker'. About 400 pieces possible on a larger screen. Choose your own pictures or use the ones provided.

'Hidden object' games with puzzles are another favourite. Also a good few word games. Word Chums (like Scrabble) played with a few relatives who are dotted around the planet.

It all helps to pass the time. I've heard it said that playing computer games helps to keep the brain in good shape. Sometimes that appears to work and sometimes not.

Edit: To play Pong online, search for 'html5 pong'
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 11:01 AM

I remember Space Invaders, those dedicated glass top tables with room to place your pint.

I was totally addicted to Sudoku for about ten years but I prefer to play that with with a pencil.

One I currently love to play on iPad is ...
https://www.gamesforthebrain.com/game/shipfind/ ...also known as Battleships.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 12:39 PM

If your ping pongs, then perhaps it time to pay more attention to personal hygiene

Isn't the 'ping' also part of your internet connection speed testing procedure
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 06:59 PM

Herbal, I too am a “ gamer” I am awaiting delivery of the new ps5 when it’s released next week, and, I will buy the latest call of duty game that is due out soon, I play every night, online with others around the world, most nights, my character is usually found horizontal having just been blasted by some teenager with far faster reactions than me, but, just occasionally, occasionally mind, I do quite well even winning the match sometimes, it has indeed moved on from the pong game , now it’s a multi billion industry and some gamers can earn millions by playing, not me though, unfortunately...
Harbal
South Yorkshire

10-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Herbal, I too am a “ gamer” I am awaiting delivery of the new ps5 when it’s released next week, and, I will buy the latest call of duty game that is due out soon, I play every night, online with others around the world, most nights, my character is usually found horizontal having just been blasted by some teenager with far faster reactions than me, but, just occasionally, occasionally mind, I do quite well even winning the match sometimes, it has indeed moved on from the pong game , now it’s a multi billion industry and some gamers can earn millions by playing, not me though, unfortunately...

Happy gaming, Primus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top