Join for free
Page 12 of 42 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
foc
That is a darned generous offer.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2020, 12:43 PM

Have sent you an email.

Besoeker
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2020, 11:18 PM

Breaking News......

After completing the soldering and installation of all the components to the circuit board, it was time to test the circuit.
Carefully applying the voltage in steps and watching power consumption (any faults would show up as either short circuit or open circuit as the amperage increased) I reached the working voltage of 9 volt DC with a consumption of around 100mA.

After offering a metal object to the coil.......It worked!....

There is still a lot of work to do, and this was just the first preliminary test. An enclosure needs to be made now to house the electronics, and the coil tidied up and modified. I saw no point in spending time on streamlining the coil if the circuit didn't work.

To say I was delighted would be an understatement.....I get so much pleasure from constructing these projects, even though I could have bought one much more efficient and professional, but what would I have learned?....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:11 AM

Soldering wire to wire or wire to PCB, seems OK, soldering substantial wire to heavy duty connector block is a nightmare.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:12 AM

I have learned nothing except to take the simple option.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Breaking News......

After completing the soldering and installation of all the components to the circuit board, it was time to test the circuit.
Carefully applying the voltage in steps and watching power consumption (any faults would show up as either short circuit or open circuit as the amperage increased) I reached the working voltage of 9 volt DC with a consumption of around 100mA.

After offering a metal object to the coil.......It worked!....

There is still a lot of work to do, and this was just the first preliminary test. An enclosure needs to be made now to house the electronics, and the coil tidied up and modified. I saw no point in spending time on streamlining the coil if the circuit didn't work.

To say I was delighted would be an understatement.....I get so much pleasure from constructing these projects, even though I could have bought one much more efficient and professional, but what would I have learned?....
That's excellent news, old grey one.

Now to find some treasure!

You will share your profits with us on OFF, won't you?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:20 AM

Well done chap. Quite often the making of something is more fun, and more therapeutic than using said something.

Last week I made rice pudding from scratch. I could have tipped a tin of the stuff into a bowl and bunged it in the nuclearwave, which would have been so much quicker and easier. However, had I done so I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience half as much, even if all the artificial additives tasted just as good.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Soldering wire to wire or wire to PCB, seems OK, soldering substantial wire to heavy duty connector block is a nightmare.
I know what you mean Spitty, plenty of heat required and not always possible from a soldering iron. Then you have the problem of all that heat damaging stuff it shouldn't...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-12-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's excellent news, old grey one.

Now to find some treasure!

You will share your profits with us on OFF, won't you?
Thanks JB, I was a bit surprised myself, I usually have to bugger about with them first before they work...

Still a while away from treading the forgotten byways and ploughed fields with detector in hand JB, and weather is crap here at the moment.... But you can rest assured that the forum will benefit immensely from any good fortune I achieve.......
I'll write all about it....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-12-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Well done chap. Quite often the making of something is more fun, and more therapeutic than using said something.

Last week I made rice pudding from scratch. I could have tipped a tin of the stuff into a bowl and bunged it in the nuclearwave, which would have been so much quicker and easier. However, had I done so I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience half as much, even if all the artificial additives tasted just as good.
Thanks Fruitcake, and I totally agree with you, sometimes it's all about the journey rather than the destination....
I also sometimes take the long way (or traditional way) round to arrive at a satisfactory and pleasing conclusion....Life is good Fruitcake..Too good to rush...

Page 12 of 42 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top