Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 02:17 AM

Life without the internet (for now!)

We've cancelled cable tv and internet at home, partly due to a falling-out with the provider over added-on charges. While we shop around for an alternate we're doing fine without. I'm in a coffee shop tonight taking advantage of the free wi-fi (which my auto-correct tried to change to 'free wife' when I texted my brother about it earlier).

So far, so good. I can live quite nicely without being connected all day. Considering going without service at home for a while longer. I don't miss the tv either.... but might look into Netflix for some fav shows and movies

I won't be online here as often either.... but enjoying the forum when I do.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 05:05 AM

Re: Life without the internet (for now!)

We're on Virgin cable and about 6 months ago a Sky rep came knocking on our door to persuade me to go with them, I told him I'd think about it. I then phoned up Virgin to tell them that Sky would do a cheaper package and they said they would knock £4/month off my charge, so I stayed with them !
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 06:49 AM

We used to have our Phone, TV, and Internet with Virgin but it was creeping up all the time and a couple of Months ago I said ENOUGH when it reached £56 a Month. I called them and and told them to stop my TV, I dropped my Internet Speed down a Grade and I no longer have free anytime UK Phone Calls. I don't miss the TV since we went to the Freeview ones BUT I do miss my Record Box like mad, I'll get a Freeview one in time though. I hardly notice the difference in my Internet Speed and I use my Mobile a lot more and Text what I have to say....not Yadder Away for the Sake of it. My Virgin Bill is halved and I'm much happier.
There's a couple of WIFI Pubs and Cafes in Thurso but not a lot of 3G for my IPhone and I tend to use that a lot. When we go back to Perth there's loads of Free WIFI and 3G is everywhere. When my Daughter was here in Thurso a few Weeks ago she got 3G on her phone and she's on the 3 Network while I'm on 02. Think I'll be changing over, my Partner says he will too. Regan says 3 has the best Coverage these Days.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 08:24 AM

I would certainly miss the internet as it is the one place where knowledge is available for everyone and the more knowledge we have the better we should be able to live.

My unlimited internet package which includes free phone calls is not the fastest, we can not get infinty here yet but serves me well and it only costs £33/month from BT.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Sorry to hear we may not be reading so many posts from you Sue .

I would defiantly miss the internet, it is my source of information/high street /bank and connection with family and friends (even more so through emails now the postal service has gone up again ).
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 01:34 PM

Sue, it's a shame you won't online here so often, we will miss you

Maybe you could keep a notebook of all your news to tell us for when you are able to get online.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Yes thats a good idea, will miss your posts.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2012, 04:08 PM

You should also get Online at your Local Library for Free.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2012, 12:14 PM

I've been looking to alternatives to the cost of Comcast broadband internet & basic cable channels. They have a lock on the area so no competition is allowed a chance to come in. I too have wi-fi available nearly everywhere but would miss the high speed service I now get. Comcast is by far the fastest service at 12-15 Mips. The free wi-fi ar McDonald's is less than 1 Mips and so horrible it unusable at times. For now I'm stuck with the $70 a month bill for both services. I can easily live without cable tv but not internet.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

24-05-2012, 12:31 PM

That came home to me hard a few Weeks ago Bob. When my Son and Daughter came up here for a few Days. I didn't go near my Computer but I was always checking my IPone and putting up Pics and Updates of our Orkney Trip on Face Book. Oh Dear.....Guess I'm well and truly hooked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top