Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 06:59 AM

Cricket World Cup - Has Australia Been Punished Enough?

OK time to stick my neck out as an Australian on a (mostly) UK site. I have loved watching cricket since I was old enough to hold a bat, push through a turnstile or change the channel on a TV. I also played at school and dreamed of one day wearing the “baggy green” for Australia. Long story short I love cricket . So you can imagine how devastated I was at “sandpapergate” It was pure and undeniable cheating and Smith, Warner and Bancroft deserved to be roundly condemned for it. And they were; unmercifully. Then they put their heads on the block in front of the entire world and took their punishment. They showed remorse and served their time in purgatory. Some said their punishment was too harsh. Others said hanging would be too good for them. Anyway now they are back and in England representing their country again. The team totally expected to be booed and jeered by the English crowd. And they have been – relentlessly. Now many observers in Australia and the UK have said that the booing has gone on long enough. The English fans have made their point, which is their right. Now it’s time to settle down and enjoy the contest. If it goes on too much longer it will become boorish and embarrassing. Even Virat Kohli, the Indian Captain has appealed to the English crowd to let it go. The underarm bowling against New Zealand was poor sportsmanship and not in the spirit of the game. But it was legal. The Kiwis eventually forgave us – mostly; as the Australians forgave England for bodyline. The sandpaper caper, however was not legal. It was dirty, underhanded and above all monumentally stupid. We know it. We are ashamed and we are sorry. Should this thing be put to bed now?..What do you cricket fans think?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Re: Cricket World Cup - Has Australia Been Punished Enough?

Go Ashleigh!

MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 11:20 AM

As an English cricket fan I absolutely agree with all you have said. It was a disgraceful time for Australian cricket but the punishment has been served and Warner and Smith reinstated. Where I slightly disagree is that I have watched every match so far and have heard the booing but thought that it had lessened on the whole by yesterday's match. However, when the crowd did boo Smith yesterday and Kohli became involved, it was the Indian fans to whom he was addressing I think, not the English ones. They were a very boisterous crowd as ever when India play. That was my reading of the situation anyway.

We have a great summer of cricket to enjoy - including the Ashes - so let's just get on with it and ignore those who wish to disrupt!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
As an English cricket fan I absolutely agree with all you have said. It was a disgraceful time for Australian cricket but the punishment has been served and Warner and Smith reinstated. Where I slightly disagree is that I have watched every match so far and have heard the booing but thought that it had lessened on the whole by yesterday's match. However, when the crowd did boo Smith yesterday and Kohli became involved, it was the Indian fans to whom he was addressing I think, not the English ones. They were a very boisterous crowd as ever when India play. That was my reading of the situation anyway.

We have a great summer of cricket to enjoy - including the Ashes - so let's just get on with it and ignore those who wish to disrupt!
Indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48578388
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2019, 01:44 PM

It's not a new thing for sportsmen to get booed forever and a day, it happens in football all the time and is all part of the game played by fans trying to put the other team off. Unfortunately, cricket is becoming more and more rowdy, in fact as a nation we are more aggressive than we have ever been.

I'm not particularly a cricket fan so I don't know the answer to this but are the perpetrators still in the team?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 12:47 AM

I'm not particularly a cricket fan so I don't know the answer to this but are the perpetrators still in the team?

Longdogs, the perps, Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft served a year suspension along with the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of endorsements. Also Warner (Who was seen as the ringleader) can't hold the position of captain of any team at any level of cricket ever again. Warner and Smith are back in the one day team. Not sure about tests. Not sure what Bancroft is doing.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 04:28 AM

I agree with Keezoy on this! Yes it was a sad mistake but they paid for it. Let it go now. Like Keezoy I have always been a keen fan of cricket, played for Auckland Secondary schools and while i was in England I played for the Brighton Arrows and my father played for the Royal Navy. It was always my favourite sport and is the most complicated game I know of. A bit like chess on grass.
Leave the Aussies alone as long as they come second to us!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->

Longdogs, the perps, Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft served a year suspension along with the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of endorsements. Also Warner (Who was seen as the ringleader) can't hold the position of captain of any team at any level of cricket ever again. Warner and Smith are back in the one day team. Not sure about tests. Not sure what Bancroft is doing.
Thanks Keezoy. I agree they have paid for their actions and we should get over it. At one time, cricketers and their fans were all gentleman but that's all disappeared now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 02:21 PM

I would like to be there today for the India v Pakistan match !
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I would like to be there today for the India v Pakistan match !
Me too! What an atmosphere! Raining at the moment though - hope it's only a short shower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top