Join for free
Geoff001
New Member!
UK
Geoff001 is male 

13-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Stamp Duty break for over 50's. Petition.

Hi, I've read a number of news outlet articles recently regarding a growing will amongst potential home movers for the UK Government to give over 50’s property downsizers a stamp duty tax break. This would then give the property market a boost, help the over 50’s move to a more life stage appropriate property whilst also freeing up larger homes for younger families. This would reinforce the current first time buyer stamp duty break and really help get things heading in the right direction.

Only a few days ago I had an official UK Government petition published which I hope will grow support and lead to further debate and hopefully implementation of such a stamp duty break. The link web address to my petition is below. I wondered if anyone would want to support my petition ? If not, no problem

Kind regards

Geoff

Dear Geoff,
We published the petition you created – “A once only stamp duty free property downsize for the over 50's”
Click this link to see your petition and start sharing it:
[url]https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/268768

Petition: A once only stamp duty free property downsize for the over 50's
There are not enough family sized homes for our younger generations. The property market requires a much needed boost. Expensive stamp duty rates are preventing older generations from freeing up their family sized homes. Many wish to downsize or move to a more age appropriate property but can't
petition.parliament.uk
Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Pa
Geoff001
New Member!
UK
Geoff001 is male 

13-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Re: Stamp Duty break for over 50's. Petition.

Hi. The full petition wording can be seen on https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/268768

Many thanks. Geoff.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 12:08 PM

It is the under 50s who need a stamp duty break, not the over 50s, many of whom are better off than the younger generation apparently.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 08:32 PM

I read somewhere this week-end that there is a proposal to apply the stamp duty on houses to the seller rather than the buyer. IMO that will make folks think twice about moving and it could make a complete mess up of the available housing market.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 08:22 AM

All it will do is to inflate house prices. It's kindergarten economics let alone economics 101.
Geoff001
New Member!
UK
Geoff001 is male 

20-08-2019, 11:34 AM

I guess there's nothing wrong with healthy debate.

Regarding, It is the under 50's who need a stamp duty break not over 50's. In the 2017 budget (First Time Buyers) were given a stamp duty break for properties up to 500k. Most first time buyers are under 50 and are still benefiting from this. Giving over 50's something similar would further help them by freeing up larger properties.

Making the seller pay stamp duty. This has now been ruled out.

All it will do is inflate house prices. As mentioned stamp duty was cut for first time buyers in the 2017 budget. Official figures show that the UK average house price has (fallen) approximately 1% over the last year. Under normal growth years you may have a point. We are however facing turbulent times and certain markets have to be stimulated to prevent a larger negative impact.

Thank you
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 03:58 PM

Stamp duty should be cut entirely .
It's stifles social mobility .
It's a tax on doing nothing .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 04:46 PM

If, or rather WHEN labour get into office they will no doubt replace stamp duty with capital gains tax.

Just glad that we don't own our house!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top