Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Re: Taking the Hit.

I live on a low income, my needs are few and I rarely notice any changes in prices. If electricity prices go up I put on another jumper. I am neither greedy or acquisitive and don't feel I must have the latest thing or everything others have.

I have no fears for any little inconveniences that may arise while we settle into our new independence from the EU, I can happily live on meals made from home made vegetables and home made bread until we have sorted ourselves out.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

25-08-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I live on a low income, my needs are few and I rarely notice any changes in prices. If electricity prices go up I put on another jumper. I am neither greedy or acquisitive and don't feel I must have the latest thing or everything others have.

I have no fears for any little inconveniences that may arise while we settle into our new independence from the EU, I can happily live on meals made from home made vegetables and home made bread until we have sorted ourselves out.
Thanks for your willing sacrifices, I’m sure. The thing is, all due respect to you, your ability to adapt and cope has two limitations. First it’s just you. No one cares. Well done but hardly a nation wide solution. Try to think less about yourself and maybe a bit about those who will not be able to cope. Perhaps a young family when the main bread winner loses their job. Or the owner of a small business that goes bust.
Second, why? Maybe you like the idea of tightening your belt and making do. Perhaps you love veg soup. But this is 2019. We should not be placing ourselves and others in hardship. For all the talk about being such a major global economy does not seem strange (dumb?) to then also say that we expect a bit more poverty, a bit less free money and an avoidable recession?
Eat your watery soup if you want. Don’t impose it on others.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
Thanks for your willing sacrifices, I’m sure. The thing is, all due respect to you, your ability to adapt and cope has two limitations. First it’s just you. No one cares. Well done but hardly a nation wide solution. Try to think less about yourself and maybe a bit about those who will not be able to cope. Perhaps a young family when the main bread winner loses their job. Or the owner of a small business that goes bust.
Second, why? Maybe you like the idea of tightening your belt and making do. Perhaps you love veg soup. But this is 2019. We should not be placing ourselves and others in hardship. For all the talk about being such a major global economy does not seem strange (dumb?) to then also say that we expect a bit more poverty, a bit less free money and an avoidable recession?
Eat your watery soup if you want. Don’t impose it on others.
I think your post was a little rude Gascony, Meg was merely pointing out that it is possible to reduce the cost of living if necessary. We did it during the wars & i am sure we could do it again. To be honest it may help the many obese children we have in this country anyway!

People who voted leave did so because they believed it was the best choice for their grandchildren and, whether you agree or not, we live in a democratic country where the majority vote wins.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think your post was a little rude Gascony, Meg was merely pointing out that it is possible to reduce the cost of living if necessary. We did it during the wars & i am sure we could do it again. To be honest it may help the many obese children we have in this country anyway!

People who voted leave did so because they believed it was the best choice for their grandchildren and, whether you agree or not, we live in a democratic country where the majority vote wins.
As the people were told they could have their cake etc. (there would be a great deal), putting their obese (grand)children on a diet was not foremost on their minds. They believed not only everything would stay the same, but they would get an added benefit. In other words, they thought things would get better, not worse (to the extent of buckling up like in war times).
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

25-08-2019, 02:58 PM

You think rude? That post was a dismal "lets make do, tighten our belt and it'll all be ok" from someone who can and seems to wants to make do / tight their belt / wait for it to be ok". A post of utter thoughtless selfishness happy to impose the need for make do / tighten your belt / wait for it to be ok onto others - others who may not be so well placed. The post was a support for a policy of no deal exit that will cause hardship (on others of course). There was no vote for a no deal Brexit. The 'best choice' people voted was for an easy, great new deal. That was the promise.
So, no, not rude. Maybe a slap in the face of facts and of considering others before oneself.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Hi Twink I think we have to ask ourselves why someone who says they are from Gascony (and failed to fill in their profile so may not even be over 50 and eligible to post at all) would be concerned with as Swimmy puts it...

Hi
Everyone, including Boris, accepts that No Deal will cause bumps on the road.
So be it.
Those on Pensions should not be exempt, we should all share the pain.
I knew this when I voted Leave.
A 20% reduction Pensions and Benefits is fine by me.

I can afford it.
The price of leaving should be shared, Pensioners should not be exempt.
maybe some in the EU are starting to realise that as the UK has for some years been the third or fourth-largest contributor to the EU budget and one of 10 members out of 28 to contribute more than it gets back in receipts, when we leave the EU they will have to pay more to make up the deficit.

These people would be better employed lobbying their own Parliaments to give us a fair deal before a large chunk of the £39bn 'divorce bill' disappears from their grasp too...

Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
No your completely wrong. Check out rules of origin and then understand what trade with the uk means, in or out of the EU.

It was the chancellor of the exchequer who said we would see 500 to 800 thousand people out of work

Did you believe him .
I’m fully conversant with EU rules of origin an my wife imports and exports to both EU and non EU countries

Her costs will increase when we are outside the EU and that is before considering the impact a weakened pound may have.

So, why is it you think employment and tax revenues will increase ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 03:35 PM

maybe some in the EU are starting to realise that as the UK has for some years been the third or fourth-largest contributor to the EU budget and one of 10 members out of 28 to contribute more than it gets back in receipts, when we leave the EU they will have to pay more to make up the deficit.

These people would be better employed lobbying their own Parliaments to give us a fair deal before a large chunk of the £39bn 'divorce bill' disappears from their grasp too...

Let's do a little calculating. The UK pays in 11,2 bn. That is after a rebate of 4,7 bn, payed for by the other 27 members. Those 4,7 bn will go back to the 27. So they are "missing" 11,2 - 4,7 = 6,5 bn.
Divided over the 27 members, each will have to pay extra 6,5/27 = 240 milion each.
For the netherlands that amounts to, for each of it's 18 milion inhabitants, in 13 £ each year, or £1 a month. I think everybody here can miss the "chunk" of money you refer to.
Some will be willing to pay more, just for you to leave.

As for the £39 bn, half it is for membership fees during the transition period. No deal, no transition. The amount due is ca. £ 16bn to be payed by 2062.
If the UK fails in it's paying international debts during that period, international courts will rule on it. In the mean time every nation regards the UK as a fraudulent country, not to deal with.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

25-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Meg: I think we have to ask ourselves why someone who says they are from Gascony (and failed to fill in their profile so may not even be over 50 and eligible to post at all) would be concerned with no deal exit which will “will cause bumps on the road”
Have you asked me? That'd be more simple and less offensive. I worked in England for over 30 years - paying lots of tax (happily, its how a country needs to work) and drawing very, very little by way of demands on the state. Be assured I'm over 50. I now live in France but still have assets in the UK. I still have friends and family in the UK. I still mostly like the UK and wish it well. Is that enough reason to care about the well being & success of the UK and its people?
Meg: These people would be better employed lobbying their own Parliaments to give us a fair deal…
Thanks for the "these people" comment. Who else is included in the 'these people' group that you are imagining? Johnny foreigners no doubt. If so that does not include me. Even as a tax paying immigrant I have no voting rights here in France. I'd need citizenship for that. I could lobby 'my parliament' in Westminster but (a) they already have a fair deal in front of them and (b) they are definitely not inclined to listen to people who have left the UK for the EU.
PS seeing as you are so interested and seem to care, you wouldn't mind bringing forward your belt tightening? I'm a quite a bit out of pocket from the exchange rate collapse brought on by the Brexit vote, and that is most likely to get worse soon. So if you could tighten your belt and sent me a few thousand that would be fair.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Hi Twink I think we have to ask ourselves why someone who says they are from Gascony (and failed to fill in their profile so may not even be over 50 and eligible to post at all) would be concerned with as Swimmy puts it...

I agree with what you said Meg, and it does make me wonder why those who live in other parts of the EU are so concerned about our welfare!
There is one member from the Netherlands & one from France who don't like our decision to leave.... could that be because they will be paying more when we go?
If it is, perhaps they will now understand why we were wise enough to get out, rather than be controlled by people who have no understanding of British life.
Maybe they are scared that we will do a good job, and if we do the rest of them will have a much harder time trying to get out!
The only fools are the ones that believed what the EU promised. The fact that they are so desperate to keep control of Britain says it all!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top