Join for free
Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 >
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

14-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Re: Who is God?

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I was waiting for that, you already think I am a crank well if you would like to meet up on a Sunday 6 pm, at a spiritualist church, go in with an open mind and see what happens.
I did this in a strange town where nobody knew me whatsoever, and my grandmother my father, my mum and my dad, all came to a medium on the podium.
It is extremely rare for this to happen to spiritualist, four members of one family and they were all named by Christian name, I was gobsmacked, admittedly I believe already, but to go to a strange town 120 miles from home and to be told this.
It is having an open mind and believing it is possible, seek and you shall find.
My beliefs have stood me in good stead, especially the last 13 years, I have cheated death 4 times, and I am a person who is not afraid to die, in fact I look forward to the day.
I guess you would ask why not commit suicide if you are looking forward to it, " well one of the commandments says
“You shall not murder, which means tp commit suicide is committing self murder, anyway I love life.
My Great-Aunt was a spiritualist, and we had mediums visiting our former home, so I am familiar with the genre. I am NOT impressed.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 09:06 PM

My family don't care what religion anyone is and never have, atheists and all, my sister married a protestant from South America, my brother married a london Jewish girl, my son an Italian, my niece an Australian atheist, and my youngest brother married a French girl who believes trees are the true earth species and not mankind, our ancestors lost the secret of communicating with them, according to her we were all better off when we were ruled by trees, I'm inclined to agree with her on that point, you don't have to pay trees enormous salaries and they don't mess up your country, still she's entitled to believe in anything she wants to, There are more relatives but I wont go into that, very understanding Family are we. By the way they all live happy lives including my French sister in law who has two boys, or twigs as she calls them.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 09:09 PM

They sound like a chip off the old block.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
My Great-Aunt was a spiritualist, and we had mediums visiting our former home, so I am familiar with the genre. I am NOT impressed.
Willow do you think your great aunt had it wrong then?
Just before my mum died she told me that my grandmother was a medium, and in her day mediums risked prison, but she carried on till she died, always working under the threat of prison.
Police forces will act on a mediums lead, although they are reluctant to use them, but individual policeman do.
I know the US police use them to find bodies etc. and also the us military.
Like religion there are always skeptics, and unfortunately there are people who are charlatans, these are the people that make folk think it is all fake.
The last medium to be imprisoned was Helen Duncan, she had psychic powers but abused them sometimes, but when she began to reveal military secrets she should never have known, and naming dead servicemen before their families knew, they had no option but to imprison her in case military secrets got into the hands of the enemy.
I could go on, as you could probably find many instances of fraud.
But I believe in them and will continue till I die.
If you fancy seeing a medium don't see one who charges, those are usually the charlatans.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
They sound like a chip off the old block.
. Still as sharp as a pin are you Mall, I think there is something to be said for tree worshippers, Judas the bad guy, hanged himself from an Elder tree, some folks over here are superstitious about Elder trees to this day, and didn't the lord appear to Moses in a bush?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
. Still as sharp as a pin are you Mall, I think there is something to be said for tree worshippers, Judas the bad guy, hanged himself from an Elder tree, some folks over here are superstitious about Elder trees to this day, and didn't the lord appear to Moses in a bush?
True Jem. And the bad guys nailed their boss to one.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Trust Jem to lighten the mood - I'm into 'trees' meself, loverly they are....
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 03:42 PM

Found a lovely quotation today which sums it all up for me:

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
and:

"Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour!"
Stephen F. Roberts
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Hmmmm Jim matey - nothing wrong with Elder trees - they give us either Elder-flower champagne or Elderberry wine.

Some years ago when I had my first hip operation, I took a bottle of what had originally been blackberry cordial into hospital with me to drink. What was actually in it was home-brewed Elderberry wine!!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Found a lovely quotation today which sums it all up for me:

and:

Stephen F. Roberts
That reminded me of a quote I read by Isaac Newton (religious) when he was talking to an athiest friend who popped round to see him. They, by all accounts, would have long discussions, some heated, about religion with one side trying to convince the other. Newton had just put together a model of the solar system with planets turning etc when his friend called. His friend commented on how impressive it looked and where had it come from. Newton replied 'I have no idea, it just appeared one day'

Page 21 of 22 « First < 11 19 20 21 22 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top