Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Re: Genetically Modified Food.

This is interesting. Not genetically modified food but meat produced in a laboratory from just a few cow cells. Apparently meat production isn't sustainable by conventional means either - according to the video.

World's first lab-grown burger to be cooked and eaten.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
This is interesting. Not genetically modified food but meat produced in a laboratory from just a few cow cells. Apparently meat production isn't sustainable by conventional means either - according to the video.

World's first lab-grown burger to be cooked and eaten.
I still wouldn't eat it - I think they mess about far too much with our food (what they put on it, in it and innoculate it against) and I am convinced that many diseases, that are attributed to other things, will, eventually, be attributed to this chemical cocktail we are supplied with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Now that looks far better way to produce meat, much less cruelty would be involved.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I still wouldn't eat it - I think they mess about far too much with our food (what they put on it, in it and innoculate it against) and I am convinced that many diseases, that are attributed to other things, will, eventually, be attributed to this chemical cocktail we are supplied with.
People won't have the choice eventually as the demand for meat is outstripping resources. Seems a great way to me to produce huge amounts of meat. An unlimited supply of very clean meat .

Presumeably this can be extended to other food types such as fish and stuff.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:45 AM

I can see I shall have get greener fingers and start keeping chickens and things!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:49 AM

People won't have the choice eventually as the demand for meat is outstripping the resources. Seems a great way to me to produce huge amounts of meat. An unlimited supply of very clean meat .

Presumeably this can be extended to other food types such as fish and stuff.

Hey yeah ~ an unlimited supply of 'stuff' would be most welcome

Invaluable in fact
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

05-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BBC News
An independent study found that lab grown beef uses 45% less energy than the average global representative figure for farming cattle. It also produces 96% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and requires 99% less land.
Makes sense to me .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-08-2013, 10:21 AM

An independent study found that lab grown beef uses 45% less energy than the average global representative figure for farming cattle. It also produces 96% fewer greenhouse gas emissions and requires 99% less land.

Makes sense to me .
And it's unnatural.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 10:25 AM

Hi Karen, I once read a scientific article which said that plants which have been attacked by pests and diseases are better for you than perfect plants as the attack makes the plant produce certain chemicals that are good for our health when we eat them.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

05-08-2013, 10:40 AM

Hi Alan - I wish I could remember more detail about the programme I watched (quite a few years ago) but they were describing (and naming) the insects that attack the parasites on plants and that nature was a finely balanced thing - our spraying chemicals upsets the balance and that's why parasites became a problem as more of the insects were killed.

I didn't know that about the chemical release in plants!

I'm just not happy about all this tinkering with our food and drinks.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top