Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Badger cull under way

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/cou...-protests.html sad day for our country IMO and no proof it will make any difference.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Re: Badger cull under way

I can't even think about it, I am on the borders of Worcestershire/ Gloucestershire and one of the proposed trial culls will be taking place very near to me

There is a badger set in the field next to my house , I just hope they will be safe.

Coming from a farming family I can appreciate the awful loss of cattle which test positive for TB but I don't think a cull of badgers is the answer to the problem, vaccination of the cattle is the way to go.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 04:45 PM

There's been shooting noises here this afternoon, hope not badgers! We get lots of rabbit, deer shooting in the fields around us, so it's hard to tell.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Totally despondent about the whole thing. Just not enough evidence to support the extreme action they're taking. Heartbreaking.

I'm curious to know also what happens to badger's protected status - how can they be protected and yet killed in such huge numbers by agents of the state?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:07 PM

Saw this on the 6 O'clock news, they said it would make a 'slight' difference - very confusing ....
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Yes I saw that too - such an extreme measure for, like you say, a slight difference.

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Saw this on the 6 O'clock news, they said it would make a 'slight' difference - very confusing ....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 09:44 PM

I understand from tonights telly news that the Badger cull has begun in Somerset. Am I wrong in thinking this was done once before and it didn't irradicate TB at all? Anyone remember about it?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:54 AM

This is totally disgraceful.

Cattle should be vaccinated against TB, but that would be at enormous cost to farmers.

Badgers are nocturnal, gentle creatures, but they are carriers of TB and 1000s of cattle have had to be destroyed because of them, but that's not the fault of the badger. They don't know they're a risk, poor souls.

It truly is heartbreaking because they are such beautiful creatures. Very sad indeed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 06:57 AM

This is entirely the fault of us humans IMO, we had TB in cattle under control back in the 70's right through to the last foot and mouth disease out break. Only area of the country had any significant amounts of diseased cattle was south west. When they culled the cattle for the F&M they repopulated the decimated herds with cattle from the south west where F&T wasn't so common.

If we had repopulated from healthy stock we wouldn't be killing badgers now.

We have a vaccine that works but can't use it because we belong to the EU who won't allow it's use.

I think the word I am searching for is fiasco !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 10:34 AM

There are some badger sets on the piece of land where I was told off for walking my dog. I wonder if the farmer was trying to hide them. Haven't heard any shooting at night yet, but perhaps they're flushing them out in daylight to avoid protesters. It's bad enough having to put up with the hunt in the winter, now we're surrounded by death!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top