Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:52 PM

Don’t Delay, Back Yourself Up Today

A new service could offer “eternal youth” for certain very wealthy customers - enabling them to store stem cells and “repair” body parts as they fail.

For £38,000, Sceil will store stem cells for you - hoping that these frozen, healthy cells will be able to “repair” damage such as injuries and illnesses in the future.

As regenerative medicine develops, the process may offer a way for the rich to “stay young”.

“We believe it’s going to be very popular with a certain class of people who have everything they want but cannot go against ageing,” said Cellectis chief executive Andre Choulika, speaking to the Telegraph.

“This is expensive, so only reserved for a certain class of people who can afford it. Twenty years ago only rich people had cell phones. Now everybody has them.”

The company’s slogan is, “Don’t delay, back yourself up today.” The service is launching in Britain, because the process would encounter legal difficulties in some countries, including Cellectis’s native France.

The process involves taking a small sample of skin cells under local anaesthetic. The biotech firm Sceil - part of Cellectis - then alters these into “pluripotent” IPS stem cells, and freezes them.

The cells are stored at -180 degrees centigrade and do not age - they will remain fit and well throughout your life, Sceil claims, ready to deal with illnesses, or even provide “spare parts.”

Sceil says, “Your iPS cells are stored for your lifetime until you have a need in the future for treatment with the latest regenerative medicine techniques. This technology may have the potential to reverse, or even cure, disease and repair damaged tissues.”

“Due to the ageing process, there is no better time to have your sample taken than today – your preserved cells will maintain their existing ‘fitness’ levels while the rest of your cells continue to age.

The process is based on the work of Professor Shinya Yamanaka, who reprogrammed human adult cells to function like pluripotent embryonic stem (ES) cells in 2007.

As someone has pointed out in the comments section: what about your skin? They don't mention that! Would you have an incredibly young body but with wrinkly, thin skin?

If you were back in your youth, would you give this a try?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/-eternal-yo...78.html#TgT9Un
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Re: Don’t Delay, Back Yourself Up Today

Oh Gawd - who would wanna be around in years to come - not me !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Oh Gawd - who would wanna be around in years to come - not me !
That's how I feel - why would anyone want to live forever?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2013, 07:05 PM

They dont live in the 'real world' I guess .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 07:09 PM

There has to come a time, surely, when you think 'I've had enough'; I've heard a fair few elderly people say those exact words.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 07:11 PM

Yes - I've heard that too - and, one day I will say the same ......
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-09-2013, 07:13 PM

I'm sure we all will. No doubt there will be takers though who will want to live forever.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top