Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Rumours of a 5 Year Time Limit on Backstop

According to Reuters, Merkel is to offer a 5 year limit on the backstop of the Withdrawal Treaty.

Hmm... not sure I would still support it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Re: Rumours of a 5 Year Time Limit on Backstop

Bread Barnier was just asked about that at the press conference ...

Q: There have been reports in the UK saying Angela Merkel is considering a five-year extension. Are those reports true?

Barnier says he has no information to that effect.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Bread Barnier was just asked about that at the press conference ...
Right ... I haven't seen any telly today, only read what was on Reuters. Perhaps Merkel has "gone rogue" ha ha
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 12:30 PM

Barnier was adamant at the press conference that the withdrawal agreement wouldn't be reopened though Mekel has been known to go it alone .

Barnier also stressed yet again there must be a good reason for the extension to article 50 which I think explains why when May met with some MPs last night she spoke about another referendum something she has always been dead against. My guess is as the talks with Labour are not going well May can't offer that as a convincing 'plan 'so she might suggest an extension in order to have another referendum as a good reason to extend.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Barnier was adamant at the press conference that the withdrawal agreement wouldn't be reopened though Mekel has been known to go it alone .

Barnier also stressed yet again there must be a good reason for the extension to article 50 which I think explains May met with some MPs last night and spoke about another referendum something she has always been dead against. My guess is as the talks with Labour are not going well May can't offer that as a convincing 'plan 'so she might suggest an extension in order to have another referendum as a good reason to extend.

could be... who believes what May says these days or the promises she made.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-04-2019, 01:52 PM

I doubt the backstop will get much of a mention at the coming meeting.

I read the tweets from the foreign correspondents and the picture I am getting is that the longest extension we might be granted is until December then that's it no more . That will come with conditions,we would of course have to take part in the EU elections , the EU has clearly been spooked by the pronouncements by the ERG of our returning difficult MEPs so it has been suggested our MPS won't be allowed to vote on the budget or to elect key EU figures. I am not sure how legal that would be if we are still paying a contribution.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Speech made today by Mark Francois intended for the ears of the EU , it looks like the ERG is trying hard to prevent any extension of article 50 being granted

Mark Francois, the vice chair of the European Research Group, which represents hardline Tory Brexiters, has said the EU will regret allowing the UK to stay if it grants an article 50 extension. In a speech to the Bruges Group at lunchtime, Francois said:
My message to the European council tomorrow night would be as follows:

“This is the 21st century and you cannot hold a nation captive against their will. There is no point granting a temporary extension to kick the can down the road in the hope that we will finally ratify the withdrawal agreement, as we never will.

“If, however, you attempt to hold us in the European Union against the democratically expressed will of the British people then, in return, we will become a “Trojan horse” within the EU, which would utterly derail all your attempts to pursue a more federal project.

“A new Conservative government, led by someone like Boris Johnson or Dominic Raab, might vote down your budget, veto your attempts at greater military integration, and generally make it impossible for you to bring about the more federal project in which you so desperately believe” ...

So my earnest message to the European council is simple. Brexit has already gone on long enough.

If you now try to hold on to us against our will, you will be facing Perfidious Albion on speed. It would therefore be much better for all our sakes if we were to pursue our separate destinies, in a spirit of mutual respect.

As Boris Johnson recently quoted Moses’ warning to Pharaoh – “Let my people go!”
The problem with not getting any extention is rather than leave without a deal May could just decide to revoke article 50 ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-04-2019, 02:08 PM

.....I am reading a lot from the EU 27 about how to guarantee the UK’s “sincere co-operation” that seems to be code words for behaving ourselves if we elect MEPs making sure not one word of the dreadful deal they have given us gets changed in the future...what a cheek

The more I read from the protectionist club of overpaid members that is the EU the more I can't wait to leave
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Speech made today by Mark Francois intended for the ears of the EU , it looks like the ERG is trying hard to prevent any extension of article 50 being granted

The problem with not getting any extention is rather than leave without a deal May could just decide to revoke article 50 ...
May has the legal authority to ask for any extension. Revoking A50 can only be done by parliament.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-04-2019, 02:21 PM

I really do like Mark Francois.

The other side of this, is that under a Conservative Government under Boris Johnson or Dominic Raab each new EU Directive will be given the finger by the British people and the EU Communities Act will not longer be worth "spit" in the UK.

We will be a rogue member state and doing the opposite of the gold plating of their regulations we did so much of in the past and if we get away with it (what is the EU going to do), the others will follow and hence, bring down the EU from the outside (as well as the inside) within a year.

P.S. Is it worth destroying the UK democracy for generations just to stay in the EU or is it better to leave and use 39 billion plus an extra 9.5 billion a year to refund excise duties ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top