Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 08:52 PM

A ****ing rant

I am so angry I can't see straight. I live in Mexico and life here can be incredibly frustrating. I just came back from the pharmacy where I tried to buy Pepto-Bismol. I selected a bottle from the shelf, took note of the price and tried to buy it. The pharmacist/cashier wanted 4 times the cost which was marked. I showed him the price that is marked on the shelf. He still insisted that I pay 4 times the marked price. He didn't seem to comprehend or care that the MARKED price is what the customer should pay. Nor did he give a **** that the MARKED price might be wrong.
There is a reason why certain countries are 3rd world. When I asked him to mark the item with the correct price... he just shrugged his shoulders. This kind of attitude is common in Mexico. Grr
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 08:57 PM

Re: A ****ing rant

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I am so angry I can't see straight. I live in Mexico and life here can be incredibly frustrating. I just came back from the pharmacy where I tried to buy Pepto-Bismol. I selected a bottle from the shelf, took note of the price and tried to buy it. The pharmacist/cashier wanted 4 times the cost which was marked. I showed him the price that is marked on the shelf. He still insisted that I pay 4 times the marked price. He didn't seem to comprehend or care that the MARKED price is what the customer should pay. Nor did he give a **** that the MARKED price might be wrong.
There is a reason why certain countries are 3rd world. When I asked him to mark the item with the correct price... he just shrugged his shoulders. This kind of attitude is common in Mexico. Grr
I feel your pain.............(
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 09:30 PM

Had a similar experience with trying to buy a bar stool at a diy store. The only option which they could legally do (other than the decent thing of honouring the price) was to remove the item from sale. So they did!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 09:44 PM

So move. It really is that simple. When "things come with the territory" and you don't like the things - change the territory. Simples.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 10:16 PM

Something else that drives me crazy about Mexico is that most stores/markets never seem to have enough proper change on hand to complete a purchase. If I buy something which costs 25 pesos and I give them a 50 peso paper note, I'll likely end up with 25 pesos in the smallest possible coins instead of 5 peso coin and a 20 peso paper note. At the end of a shopping day I often end up with 2 pounds of coins in my jeans pocket. Markets/store here seem to think it is up to the customer to carry the EXACT amount of the purchase. Also, making proper change seems to confuse cashiers.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2021, 10:44 PM

Something else that drives me crazy about Mexico is that most stores/markets never seem to have enough proper change on hand to complete a purchase. If I buy something which costs 25 pesos and I give them a 50 peso paper note, I'll likely end up with 25 pesos in the smallest possible coins instead of 5 peso coin and a 20 peso paper note. At the end of a shopping day I often end up with 2 pounds of coins in my jeans pocket. Markets/store here seem to think it is up to the customer to carry the EXACT amount of the purchase. Also, making proper change seems to confuse cashiers.
So knowing that to be the case there is an obvious solution. Take out the appropriate coinage. Sorted.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 12:34 AM

My honest question would be, why on earth are you living in Mexico?
bakerman
Mexico

11-03-2021, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
My honest question would be, why on earth are you living in Mexico?
I moved here after I returned from The Philippines. Now, unfortunately, my poor health prevents me from going any where. I never imagined that I could ever end up in such terrible condition.

Even if I managed to get enough energy to move, I'd be forced to hire a truck and several men that could cross the international border. That would be super expensive AND the U.S. customs might very well demand that I completely unload the truck before I could proceed. A real nightmare.
Additionally, the cost of rent in the U.S. is 5 to 10 times the cost of renting in Mexico. Utilities would also increase dramatically.

Bottom line ? I'd need an extra 25,000 Euros/year
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2021, 02:06 AM

Well, that's Mexico.

I have learned the hard way that in many third world places, there is a price given to locals and a price given to foreign travelers. I actually don't have a problem with that. I expect you were being charged the gringo price, bakerman.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

11-03-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Well, that's Mexico.

I have learned the hard way that in many third world places, there is a price given to locals and a price given to foreign travelers. I actually don't have a problem with that. I expect you were being charged the gringo price, bakerman.
It's the same in many UK big towns and cities. Ask in English - you'll get one price. Ask in Urdu you'll get a lower price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top