Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Amazon - an observation

I had a sneaking suspicion that the "wish list" facility on Amazon might be used not only to collect marketing information but to influence prices, so I just did an experiment. I added an item to my wish list yesterday and the price went up by £6. Took it off my wish list today and it has gone back down again.
Interesting...
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Re: Amazon - an observation

Good spot Orang. I really don't trust internet shopping and have never used Amazon. But your expose here convinces me never to do so. Damned rip off merchants.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 04:01 PM

Interesting - never spotted that and I buy from Amazon occasionally without any problems, except you have to watch out for postage charges - they default to express delivery at a higher cost if you´re not awake.
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I had a sneaking suspicion that the "wish list" facility on Amazon might be used not only to collect marketing information but to influence prices, so I just did an experiment. I added an item to my wish list yesterday and the price went up by £6. Took it off my wish list today and it has gone back down again.
Interesting...

This is really interesting - I'm pretty certain they use that info for *something* but I was not really sure what. I resisted a wish list for ages then just started adding stuff just for convenience without sharing it with anyone. Weirdly prices that have changed on mine have gone DOWN not up! In fact I was thinking maybe that's their strategy.. to know what you want then tempt you to buy it even tho you're not desperate by dropping the price.. but obviously not, if your items have increased

Tell you what tho, don't buy directly the item on your wish list, but click on the item and see if other suppliers are selling the same thing cheaper.. it will show on the RH side often. Their prices change all the time.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jodie ->
This is really interesting - I'm pretty certain they use that info for *something* but I was not really sure what. I resisted a wish list for ages then just started adding stuff just for convenience without sharing it with anyone. Weirdly prices that have changed on mine have gone DOWN not up! In fact I was thinking maybe that's their strategy.. to know what you want then tempt you to buy it even tho you're not desperate by dropping the price.. but obviously not, if your items have increased

Tell you what tho, don't buy directly the item on your wish list, but click on the item and see if other suppliers are selling the same thing cheaper.. it will show on the RH side often. Their prices change all the time.
Yes, jodie, it does work both ways. Last year I put a camera lens on my wish list to make it easier to check the price regularly. The price fluctuated almost daily. It was on there for months and then one day had a huge drop in price and I bought it. I'm not sure if they have changed their strategy or changed some cookies, but I certainly won't use the wish list for anything other than a reminder for myself now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 08:20 PM

It is very confusing . A while ago when I was debating whether to get a Kenwood mixer and I put one in my 'basket' so that I would remember which model it was (I was offered one as a gift because I make bread for the whole family and my hands are very painful ).

I kept getting reminders that it was there and was shocked to see the cost go up by £50 at one stage while othe models went down.

I left it in the basket for months and it eventually it came down again in price at which point we bought it
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I kept getting reminders that it was there
I got that the other day, I had been looking at printer paper on Amazon and put a ream in my 'basket' today I got a smarmy e-mail saying something like "We've noticed that you put this in your basket but didn't proceed to buy it"

What a dam cheek. I'm now going to buy it from Rymans in the high street, don't care if it costs ten times as much

These people think they are clever, sorry but you've got to get up a lot earlier to beat me
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2015, 12:31 AM

I've never used their Wish List Ania, don't think I'll bother now either!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top